Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 140

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
VoidedTea

#1391: Post by VoidedTea »

frydcoffee wrote:Damn! I was so close to buying a P64 but this has really put me off, hopefully they sort out the issues soon.
Same here. On a wait list but will not be placing my order until the issue is fully resolved. That reply from Option-O really bothers me. They admitted the problem but didn't explain what the problem is. I find it very confusing. Also, some people reported the problem occurring a few months after the purchase. Does it mean that it may happen due to normal wear? I adjust my grind every day several times a day, so I need to make sure that the grinder is solid enough to handle this. Very disappointing because this is the only grinder that ticked all boxes during my selection process which is why I decided that premium price is worth it. Hate to go to square one again.

VoidedTea

#1392: Post by VoidedTea »

Somehow my reply got posted twice. Don't know how to delete it, so just replaced with this message.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
Gimel

#1393: Post by Gimel »

frydcoffee wrote:Damn! I was so close to buying a P64 but this has really put me off, hopefully they sort out the issues soon. Has anyone had problems on the Unimodal burrs too?
I have the Unimodal Burrs from the most recent batch and have no issues. I mostly use it to brew (and get excellent quality v60s), but once I week I use it for espresso. No issues with getting very fine, and 30 seconds with 1.8 from chirp point. Great taste. But I am not an espresso person, so can't judge.

I did get also the original brew burrs and the HU burrs, but now I am afraid to play with it.

ActionMike

#1394: Post by ActionMike »

North16 wrote:Does anyone else have lopsided distribution when grinding into the portafilter? It seems to dump towards the right side rather than in the middle. Anyone else have this issue?
Yes. I have a P64 shipped in May 2021with unimodal burrs. I cannot grind directly into my portafilter, because the coffee piles up on the right side. I would need to pause the grinder and redistribute the grinds, otherwise the coffee rises above the funnel and makes a mess on my counter. Thus, I need to grind into the tumbler and pour it from there into the portafilter.

I considered this lopsided distribution has something to do with statics, or burrs breaking in, but the problem persists with or without RDT and after more than 5 kilograms. I sent Option O an email and Hayden asked me to check whether the declumping screen was still intact. Unfortunately (or luckily?), my screen was still intact and skipping RDT did not help. Hayden offered to check with his engineer, but I haven't heared from them for two weeks.

What did you try to fix the lopsided distribution? Any recommendations? I still hope Haydens engineer comes up with an idea.
-Michael

MNate

#1395: Post by MNate » replying to ActionMike »

It's just the nature of screens for flats. You can see if your screen is wedged up just a bit too much. Brush around and behind it a bit. When they get brittle they no longer work as well, but that shouldn't be a problem yet.

Flaps are the Achilles heals of flats (that use them). They reduce static and help the grounds fall nicely in the basket. But they also retain some grounds and are prone to sticking up a bit. When they really stick up you get the spraying of grounds like we've seen in some caedo and my Compak. Humidity and roast level can be factors in having it get stuck.

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#1396: Post by TenLayers »

The grounds are so fluffy that without redistributing as it grinds it does overwhelm the funnel. I made a taller one out of leather and thin aluminum.

North16

#1397: Post by North16 »

ActionMike wrote:Yes. I have a P64 shipped in May 2021with unimodal burrs. I cannot grind directly into my portafilter, because the coffee piles up on the right side. I would need to pause the grinder and redistribute the grinds, otherwise the coffee rises above the funnel and makes a mess on my counter. Thus, I need to grind into the tumbler and pour it from there into the portafilter.

I considered this lopsided distribution has something to do with statics, or burrs breaking in, but the problem persists with or without RDT and after more than 5 kilograms. I sent Option O an email and Hayden asked me to check whether the declumping screen was still intact. Unfortunately (or luckily?), my screen was still intact and skipping RDT did not help. Hayden offered to check with his engineer, but I haven't heared from them for two weeks.

What did you try to fix the lopsided distribution? Any recommendations? I still hope Haydens engineer comes up with an idea.
-Michael
I haven't found something that works. I am going to install the replacement burrs first, to see if it helps. RDT helps some. What is a declumping screen and where is it??

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
ActionMike

#1398: Post by ActionMike »

The declumper screen sits at the burrs chamber exit. You can acccess it by undoing the three hex screws. I cleaned it thoroughly and checked for any deformation. Option O confirmed that it looked intact. The problem persists though...

[edit: The picture was taken before cleaning]

Eiern

#1399: Post by Eiern »

Wow it has really changed from the one they used 6 months ago. Which could not deform.

North16

#1400: Post by North16 » replying to Eiern »

What did the old declumper screen look like?