Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 139

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
heytchap

#1381: Post by heytchap »

North16 wrote:Heytchap, my issue seems to be exactly the same as yours (early blonding, gushers, etc). What did Option O's team tell you?
To send my grinder back to Prima for analysis and then we can figure out next steps.

North16

#1382: Post by North16 replying to heytchap »

Thanks for taking one for the team. I got mine from Prima, too. Prima told me to sit tight and they'd get back to me once Option O had a better understanding of the problem and how to fix it (I guess after they look at yours). Hayden emailed me back and said likely it would be replacement burrs, but that they want to analyze a problem machine to make sure. He also said Prima would be the contact point moving forward. I don't have anything else but a hand grinder (eek) so I would have been scared to send mine in (but would definitely send it in if asked).

North16

#1383: Post by North16 »

Prima said they have some HU burrs that are not the affected batch (sounds like they are testing this at their site), and will mail me a new burr set. I really hope this fixes the issue!

graphidz

#1384: Post by graphidz »

I wanna chime in from what I've seen in a few units from the recent batches. I don't think it's only because of SSP. I've seen at least 2 units that had terrible scratch in the wall of the spinning burr due to the carrier not fully centered. Sure making the tolerance as tight as they possibly can is highly appreciated, but can't blame the whole reason on SSP burrs alone.

Also, even testing using different burrs namely the stock one, at burrs touching, the coffee made isn't chocked. It's like making 40s espresso shots. And a proper espresso at a mere 3 lines from the zero point, which is an extremely tiny range of espresso grind.

Off note : I notice recent the recent batch has an issue with messy grinding. Doing RDT didn't solve the issue weirdly.

golemagg

#1385: Post by golemagg replying to graphidz »

This is concerning. As a customer waiting for mid-August batch I am concerned regarding the QC on the Lagom. I have written to them separately over email 3 days ago and haven't heard from them.

Jimjam168

#1386: Post by Jimjam168 »

heytchap wrote:To send my grinder back to Prima for analysis and then we can figure out next steps.
Heytchap- Any update on your front? I was thinking I was crazy after a month of trying to "adjust" to my new flat burr grinder but this thread is making me think it's a wider issue.

Jeff from HB helped out considerably, tell me that flat burr grinders will usually extract in a shorter time frame, so I've adjusted based on that and spent WAY too much time on puck prep trial and error. I've gotten okay results, but have failed to get a really good shot thus far. I was previously aiming for my usual 27-34s shots and was failing miserably, so this is a big improvement.

Currently I'm pulling George Howell Daterra Espresso (medium) and working on 16g in, 34g out in around 20-22 seconds. Shots start out okay, progress to the midpoint with slight channeling and then at around the 14-16 mark I'll get spurts and massive speed ups and an unbalanced shot in the cup.

All this to say, it sounds like this is a larger issue and I'm eager to hear the result.
James

kidloco

#1387: Post by kidloco »

My Option O is returned to the distributor, fully refunded and I got E65S GBW instead. I have nothing against the company and believe I was unlucky, maybe sometimes I will test another of their grinders, but that story is behind me at the moment. I strongly believe my problem was in the upper burr carrier, but I will never know.

North16

#1388: Post by North16 »

Jimjam168 wrote:Heytchap- Any update on your front? I was thinking I was crazy after a month of trying to "adjust" to my new flat burr grinder but this thread is making me think it's a wider issue.

Jeff from HB helped out considerably, tell me that flat burr grinders will usually extract in a shorter time frame, so I've adjusted based on that and spent WAY too much time on puck prep trial and error. I've gotten okay results, but have failed to get a really good shot thus far. I was previously aiming for my usual 27-34s shots and was failing miserably, so this is a big improvement.

Currently I'm pulling George Howell Daterra Espresso (medium) and working on 16g in, 34g out in around 20-22 seconds. Shots start out okay, progress to the midpoint with slight channeling and then at around the 14-16 mark I'll get spurts and massive speed ups and an unbalanced shot in the cup.

All this to say, it sounds like this is a larger issue and I'm eager to hear the result.
Hey Jimjam168,
Your issues are exactly the same as mine on my unit. I purchased mine from Prima and they are sending me a replacement HU SSP burr set from a previous batch. They said they tested it on a P64 unit they have in the store and there were no issues on it. Will see once I get back home and switch them out. If that doesn't work, then maybe there is more going on than just a burr QC issue.

jgood

#1389: Post by jgood »

"...flat burr grinders will usually extract in a shorter time frame, so I've adjusted based on that and spent WAY too much time on puck prep trial and error. I've gotten okay results, but have failed to get a really good shot thus far. I was previously aiming for my usual 27-34s shots and was failing miserably, so this is a big improvement."

The flat burr grinders extract faster part confuses me. I have a Baratza Vario (flat burr) and I have no issues with 40 sec or 45 sec from first drip to 30 gr output with 20 gr dose -- which seems optimal for what I drink and my setup. This is disappointing as I am looking to upgrade at some point and Lagom was on my list....

frydcoffee

#1390: Post by frydcoffee »

Damn! I was so close to buying a P64 but this has really put me off, hopefully they sort out the issues soon. Has anyone had problems on the Unimodal burrs too?