Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 123

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Peter_SVK

#1221: Post by Peter_SVK »

ZombiEE wrote:...
To you guys who got the unimodal burr, could it pulls 1:2 ratio espresso or leaning towards EKpresso ratio?
If not too late to answer your question, I use 20g of coffee in and 34g out, so less than 1:2 ratio espresso, unimodal burrs, and like it. :)

Peter_SVK

#1222: Post by Peter_SVK »

mooky wrote:...
On a more serious note, is the finish anodised aluminium?
Do owners of the black model notice wear and tear on the finish where there is a lot of metal-on-metal contact - eg the portafilter forks? I'd imagine small scratches in the black finish would show much easier as the underlying metal is silver...
Anyone have pics?
Anodised aluminium. 7+months of use and no single scratch. :)
Needless to say, from the beginning I put vinyl (or PU?) transparent protective foil inside the fork grooves to prevent them of scratching (because expected that eventually). :wink:

splashalot

#1223: Post by splashalot »

Peter_SVK wrote:.....Needless to say, from the beginning I put vinyl (or PU?) transparent protective foil inside the fork grooves to prevent them of scratching (because expected that eventually). :wink:

Can you please advise the name of the film you used. I've tried Googling but having trouble finding anything which may be suitable.

I'd like to protect my forks, like you, but also snug-up the portafilter fit a little, as mine have small lugs.

Amberale

#1224: Post by Amberale »

Hi Peter, looking good.
I haven't had a chance to do the mods on my P64 yet, too busy trading cattle. :(

Is that a pair of 3mm grub screws inserted from below or did you go all out and mount magnets there and on your portafilter?

Peter_SVK

#1225: Post by Peter_SVK »

splashalot wrote: Can you please advise the name of the film you used. I've tried Googling but having trouble finding anything which may be suitable.

I'd like to protect my forks, like you, but also snug-up the portafilter fit a little, as mine have small lugs.
I really don't know, I have few on hand, some branded ones and some from Ali. I suggest to check eBay for "3M helicopter tape" (e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Clear-Bike- ... 2245987032, your local one :) https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Superior-He ... 3424569191, this is fantastic urethan stuff, check also desired thickness. The other option is car protective transparent foil, just visit some local car Paint Protection Film company (PPF), they'll surely have some foil waste for sale or free.
Btw, my PF is smaller too, because it's Dalla Corte one.

Peter_SVK

#1226: Post by Peter_SVK »

Amberale wrote:Hi Peter, looking good.
I haven't had a chance to do the mods on my P64 yet, too busy trading cattle. :(

Is that a pair of 3mm grub screws inserted from below or did you go all out and mount magnets there and on your portafilter?
Hi Craig, take some break and do mods. :D
Have you received the scale yet?

No, this is original fork with the magnets installed. I just pressed them out and re-pressed/bonded back in opposite polarity for better insert fit (thinking the insert should fit this way)

but Hayden told me the correct insert position is this one (upside-down for me :) ), so the magnets were in correct polarity from the factory

Amberale

#1227: Post by Amberale »

Ahh, I see.
It is slightly different to the later holder fork.
Is there a hole drilled all the way through the fork for the magnet fitting?
If so it should be strong enough for my mod.

Yes the scales arrived a few weeks ago.
Please accept my apologies for not letting you know.
I'll try to get onto it this weekend.
Cheers

Peter_SVK

#1228: Post by Peter_SVK »

Yes, the holes are drilled all the way through the fork (otherwise I would not be able to press out magnets).
I'm looking forward to see the result with "external" scale.

mooky

#1229: Post by mooky »

Peter_SVK wrote:Anodised aluminium. 7+months of use and no single scratch. :)
Needless to say, from the beginning I put vinyl (or PU?) transparent protective foil inside the fork grooves to prevent them of scratching (because expected that eventually). :wink:

Good tip! Thanks
Did you just apply it to the horizontal (inner surfaces)?
Is it a matter of sticking it on & trimming with razor blade?

naturalganja

#1230: Post by naturalganja »

I don't know which burrs to go for so I am after some feedbacks from people using the newer (multi-purpose) unimodal burrs for espressos (as obviously I'll be very happy with brews):

I only drink light to medium, pull shots either just below 1:2 (18-19g in for ~ 35g out) for milk drinks and between 1:2 and 1:3 for espressos.
I tried the original SSP unimodal and couldn't choke my friend's machine. The shots, however, as many people discussed here, still tasted sweet and expressive but just didn't look great at all. I've also read here than with the updated version, choking is not an issue anymore.

I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice as times are tough and I won't be able to afford 2 sets of burrs. If I have to pick, I prefer sweetness and clarity over body. Do you guys think I'm making the right choice with unimodal or should I go HU?

Thanks for the help as always