Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 121

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

#1201: Post by bakafish »

gomod wrote:baka, can you reach the same (subjective) cup quality with the lagom brew/mp burrs compared to the 804 LS?
No, they are not in the same league. The Lagom P64 is a good grinder, worth the price, and can have no negative tastes at a high extraction yield (I tried over 21%), but less flavor and weaker aroma compared with the 804 LS.
★ Helpful

gomod

#1202: Post by gomod replying to bakafish »

baka:
I asked because I now own the Lab Sweet burrs in my modded 805, and am astounded by the flavour clarity and sweetness (even compared to the 805/Tanzania steel burrs). I am still thinking about getting a Lagom for the improved workflow and use if the cup quality was comparable.

jarrettelliott

#1203: Post by jarrettelliott »

mooky wrote:On a more serious note, is the finish anodised aluminium?
Yes, both the silver and black models have an anodized aluminum finish. I have the silver one so I can't definitively say what the black would do, but I don't yet (75 days of use so far) see any signs of wear from the portafilter sliding in and out. Though I'm sure my stainless steel portafilter will eventually wear on it. Seems, at least in theory, to be inevitable given the hardness differences. That's actually the reason I chose the Silver model. Figured it would show wear less than the black one.

bakafish

#1204: Post by bakafish »

gomod wrote:baka:
I asked because I now own the Lab Sweet burrs in my modded 805, and am astounded by the flavour clarity and sweetness (even compared to the 805/Tanzania steel burrs). I am still thinking about getting a Lagom for the improved workflow and use if the cup quality was comparable.
I am waiting my Tanzania. I had very good experiences in a coffee shop using KR805.

gomod

#1205: Post by gomod replying to bakafish »

If you can also compare the Tanzania burrs to the Lagom with brew burrs, that would be interesting.

EthanL

#1206: Post by EthanL »

gomod wrote:I asked because I now own the Lab Sweet burrs in my modded 805
Off the topic, but this is interesting to me and would like to know more. I was thinking to get a single dosing grinder like Lagom or Niche for my office. And have a Tanzania at home with silver knight burrs, nothing to complain just curious if someone has pushed the edge further with LS burrs installed

mooky

#1207: Post by mooky »

Can any UK owners comment on what the final landed cost into the UK was for the P64?

I expect there are duties
I expect there is 20% VAT on top of the final cost (price + shipping + insurance + duties + import admin fee)

thebookfreak58

#1208: Post by thebookfreak58 »

So, whats the consensus on burr selection?

I'm majority espresso (med roast) but would like to do a V60 once a week.

konacano

#1209: Post by konacano replying to thebookfreak58 »

I don't think there is consensus yet. My P64 has the Universal burrs. This past week I bounced between 21g espresso baskets in the morning and V60s in the afternoon. This grinder pulls this off flawlessly with low retention and repeatable grind settings.

I do not feel my espresso shots are underperforming. There's ample body matched with pleasing clarity. V60s are tea-like, satisfying sweetness balanced with roast flavors and distinct origin expression. A flavor profile I associate with the EK43. The universal burrs justify their moniker. At least I'm not finding a strong compulsion to swap burrs.

LObin

#1210: Post by LObin replying to konacano »

Which burr set are you referring to when you say you have the universal burrs?
SSP High Uniformity (standard ssp) or SSP Unimodal (multi-purpose)?
LMWDP #592