Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 119

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mdreuben
Supporter ❤

#1181: Post by mdreuben »

I used my older Niche and new P64 side by side for about 3 days. There's no questioning that I'd be able to pick the P64 in a blind testing. However, at $700 the Niche is a steal. Can I confidently say that the P64 is worth 2-1/2 times the price of the Niche? That answer would have to be answered personally, depending on your means, but I would say probably not.

bakafish

#1182: Post by bakafish »

chortya wrote:I have both burr sets. The difference is minimal, old SSP brew burrs (which are actually standard SSP brew burrs without Lagom requested modification) produce a slightly cleaner cup. Also I need to grind 2 clicks finer with them (calculated from the new 0 point) to achieve similar extraction.
I have almost the same experience. My ATAGO shows the TDS with the new Unimodal burrs (Multi-Purpose burrs) is higher at the same dial. With proper pour over techniques, the new Unimodal burrs also has a clean cup.

Advertisement
gomod

#1183: Post by gomod replying to bakafish »

have you conducted any type of thorough comparison between the brew burrs and the multi purpose ones? any additional insights on cup quality?

bakafish

#1184: Post by bakafish replying to gomod »

I had posted it before. My Lagom P64 is the first batch with the new Unimodal burrs and then I ordered the original brew burrs from SSP. For pour over, I found that the coffee was easily ove extracted at the first and second pours with the brew burrs and MP burrs by using Tetsu Kasuya's 4:6 method which leaded to sour and astringent compared with the ditting 804 Lab Sweet. Recently I lowered the water volumn at the first and second pours and got very good cups. For espresso, the MP burrs is more forgiving for preparation and extraction. At first I did not like the MP burrs because of the easier over extraction than the original brew burrs for pour over, but now I think it is a very good burr set for pour over and light roast espresso. But if you prefer the very light roast espresso, maybe you should choose the original brew burrs (out of stock on the SSP website).

Amberale

#1185: Post by Amberale »

Kjote0422 wrote:Sorry for hijacking the discussion.

Can someone please tell me the dimension of the dosing funnel that comes with the grinder?
The width of the base and the top of the funnel, as well as the height of the funnel.
If possible, what is the maximum height that can fit on the fork with a portafilter without touching the grinder?
Thank you all in advance.
Outer width top and bottom is 75.5mm
Height 32.0mm
There is a lip inside the bottom that is 2.9mm up from the bottom edge.
The inner diameter of that lip is 57.9mm(nb too narrow for a 58-58.5mm tamper to fit)
The inner diameter of the top of the funnel is 68mm.
The gap from the top of the portafilter fork to the back of the grind outlet tube(lowest point) is 36mm.

gomod

#1186: Post by gomod »

bakafish wrote:I had posted it before. My Lagom P64 is the first batch with the new Unimodal burrs and then I ordered the original brew burrs from SSP. For pour over, I found that the coffee was easily ove extracted at the first and second pours with the brew burrs and MP burrs by using Tetsu Kasuya's 4:6 method which leaded to sour and astringent compared with the ditting 804 Lab Sweet. Recently I lowered the water volumn at the first and second pours and got very good cups. For espresso, the MP burrs is more forgiving for preparation and extraction. At first I did not like the MP burrs because of the easier over extraction than the original brew burrs for pour over, but now I think it is a very good burr set for pour over and light roast espresso. But if you prefer the very light roast espresso, maybe you should choose the original brew burrs (out of stock on the SSP website).
i am only doing filter. can you write a bit more about the brew and multi burrs vs the lab sweet ones?

mooky

#1187: Post by mooky »

120 pages... and I didn't find the answer to the most important question with this grinder..... why does the ring on the dosing cup only go 2/3 of the way round? :lol:

Advertisement
Baristaboys

#1188: Post by Baristaboys replying to mooky »

For easier pouring someone hypothetisized I think.

bakafish

#1189: Post by bakafish »

mooky wrote:120 pages... and I didn't find the answer to the most important question with this grinder..... why does the ring on the dosing cup only go 2/3 of the way round? :lol:
I don't know either. But it's nothing to me. I don't use it because it is too heavy.
I use my own cup instead, just fit, 53.1g only.

jarrettelliott

#1190: Post by jarrettelliott »

mooky wrote:120 pages... and I didn't find the answer to the most important question with this grinder..... why does the ring on the dosing cup only go 2/3 of the way round? :lol:
I just assumed it stopped it from rolling off the counter and hitting the floor/your toes with all of the unnecessary heft that thing has. :lol: