Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 118

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kjote0422

#1171: Post by Kjote0422 »

Sorry for hijacking the discussion.

Can someone please tell me the dimension of the dosing funnel that comes with the grinder?
The width of the base and the top of the funnel, as well as the height of the funnel.
If possible, what is the maximum height that can fit on the fork with a portafilter without touching the grinder?
Thank you all in advance.

gomod

#1172: Post by gomod »

Say, who had the chance to compare the old SSP brew burrs with the current (slighly modified) SSP multi purpose burrs in the filter range?

Haven't read much about this here, nor on other forums.

Thanks for the insights!

chortya

#1173: Post by chortya »

I have both burr sets. The difference is minimal, old SSP brew burrs (which are actually standard SSP brew burrs without Lagom requested modification) produce a slightly cleaner cup. Also I need to grind 2 clicks finer with them (calculated from the new 0 point) to achieve similar extraction. I did not measure anything and only talking out of my tasting experience. My typical brew ratio is 30gr in 500gr out or 20gr in and 300gr out.
Also the 0 point is around 4 clicks coarser compared to the Lagom brew burrs.

I did not like 1 espresso (medium roast, Ethiopian "Bombe" from a German roaster JB) I tried with those burrs at all, so for me these are exclusively filter oriented burrs. Comandante C40 produces significantly tastier espresso grind with my Ascaso machine.

SteveRhinehart

#1174: Post by SteveRhinehart »

Prima told me they found them largely identical albeit with a shift in grind settings. I have both sets but I haven't seasoned the Multipurpose yet. I plan to do that this weekend and can compare fairly soon.

gomod

#1175: Post by gomod »

thanks @chortya
would be great to hear some feedback from you, too, @SteveRhinehart

Spitz.me

#1176: Post by Spitz.me »

So, as I'm curious about buying this grinder. I drink espresso 99% of the time...rarely do filter.

Which one makes more delicious espresso? I know... subjective, but it seems like unimodal burrs increase clarity and sweetness ultimately. So, high uniformity or unimodal for espresso?
LMWDP #670

lessthanjoey

#1177: Post by lessthanjoey »

Spitz.me wrote:So, as I'm curious about buying this grinder. I drink espresso 99% of the time...rarely do filter.

Which one makes more delicious espresso? I know... subjective, but it seems like unimodal burrs increase clarity and sweetness ultimately. So, high uniformity or unimodal for espresso?
I've had both those burrs in my super jolly - well sortof. I have the new "unimodal-espresso/multipurpose" now, and had the "high uniformity" before. Personally I prefer the unimodal-espresso, but I drink mostly light roasts and like bright fruit flavors in my espresso. I also have an espresso machine that gives me a lot of flexibility on how I extract.

If you also like light roasts primarily I'd go for those. If you're more of a medium drinker, like some more texture in your espresso - maybe the HU is better?

Spitz.me

#1178: Post by Spitz.me »

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Hot take anyone?

If you have a Niche and a Lagom - could you blindly guess with 100% certainty which espresso came from which grinder all else equal?
LMWDP #670

lessthanjoey

#1179: Post by lessthanjoey »

Spitz.me wrote:Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Hot take anyone?

If you have a Niche and a Lagom - could you blindly guess with 100% certainty which espresso came from which grinder all else equal?
Again, don't have a Lagom, but I compared the HU burrs to the niche and could tell pretty easily in my blind tastes. Flavor profile was similar but more intense from the SJ for similar dialed shots. Measured EY was always 1-1.5% higher than the Niche too. The unimodal burrs have definitely shifted the flavor profile brighter and clearer so while I didn't compare these blind I think it would be even easier. In a lot of ways I'd put the HU in between the Niche and the unimodal burrs on a continuum.

Edit: I should clarify - that's in direct comparison. If you gave me the Niche one day, and the SJ w/ HU burrs the next day, I might not be able to tell it changed. But blind, direct comparison, yes. Memory fades differences pretty rapidly. The unimodals are different enough in terms of what they emphasize that this might be more clear day to day, but I never tried.

Spitz.me

#1180: Post by Spitz.me replying to lessthanjoey »

Hey Joe, thanks again for the quick reply! I definitely don't expect people to be able to accurately compare without A-Bing.
LMWDP #670