Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 116

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Baristaboys

#1151: Post by Baristaboys »

Bunkmil wrote:I don't know if it has anything to do with interlocking but my lock point vary from 4.3-4.7 while the chirping is pretty consistent at 4.1.

I have the original unimodal (not the Option-O modified version).

Here's a little video right after I cleaned the burrs : https://photos.app.goo.gl/bnTKW7WoSh3CXYfH9

I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my original unimodal. I think this isn't an indication of misalignment, because with misalignment the angle of the tilted burr would still be constant - generating the same burr lock position everytime.

The tooth interlocking theory sounds more reasonable imo, although Bakafish pretty much disproved it with the burr overlay photo.

A crazy theory I'm too lazy to test out is that Lagom misalignment actually exists because a misaligned and tilted burr allows the teeth on the flatter outer rim to interlock, by lifting away the center part of the burr that otherwise would'nt be able to interlock (see bakafish image again)

bakafish

#1152: Post by bakafish »

Bunkmil wrote:I don't know if it has anything to do with interlocking but my lock point vary from 4.3-4.7 while the chirping is pretty consistent at 4.1.

I have the original unimodal (not the Option-O modified version).

Here's a little video right after I cleaned the burrs : https://photos.app.goo.gl/bnTKW7WoSh3CXYfH9
I have the opposite steps with yours. I power on the grinder first and make the burrs chirp to make sure there is not retention and then power off and lock the burrs.

Your chirping sound was different from mine. You can try to push the hopper from side when chirp to see if the chirping sound changes. I have no idea if it could be the reason of the lock point change. I think it is unavoidable to have the lateral force when rotate the hopper, so I had modified the upper burr carrier by attaching tapes around it to make it not tilt too much when push the hopper sideways.

Baristaboys wrote: I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my original unimodal.
My chirp and lock point with the original unimodal burrs are pretty consistent. Do you check the retention before lock the burrs?

Advertisement
TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#1153: Post by TenLayers »

foam2 wrote:So I've read the last several pages and I don't know what is driving people to pull out their burrs and test alignment. Does your coffee not taste good - what is it?
I think the internet breeds insecurities in people. And forever chopping things smaller and smaller.

Bunkmil

#1154: Post by Bunkmil »

bakafish wrote:I think it is unavoidable to have the lateral force when rotate the hopper, so I had modified the upper burr carrier by attaching tapes around it to make it not tilt too much when push the hopper sideways.
You put some (teflon?) tape on the thread of the upper burr carrier ?
bakafish wrote:My chirp and lock point with the original unimodal burrs are pretty consistent. Do you check the retention before lock the burrs?
The video was made right after I removed the carrier to clean the burrs so it's very unliklety that there was still coffee between the burrs.

Baristaboys

#1155: Post by Baristaboys »

bakafish wrote:I have the opposite steps with yours. I power on the grinder first and make the burrs chirp to make sure there is not retention and then power off and lock the burrs.

Your chirping sound was different from mine. You can try to push the hopper from side when chirp to see if the chirping sound changes. I have no idea if it could be the reason of the lock point change. I think it is unavoidable to have the lateral force when rotate the hopper, so I had modified the upper burr carrier by attaching tapes around it to make it not tilt too much when push the hopper sideways.

My chirp and lock point with the original unimodal burrs are pretty consistent. Do you check the retention before lock the burrs?
Yeah I just went and tried it again. I started and stopped the grinder after each test. Burr lock occured at 2, 3, 4 and 4½ small clicks from chirp point, shifting from time to time.

chortya

#1156: Post by chortya »

Hi guys, I am a very happy Lagom user and I ended up ordering "old" unimodal burrs (standsrd ssp 64mm brew burrs) in addition to the new unimodal which were "improved" on request from Lagom to provide more fines for espresso. I use this grinder exclusively for filter and slowly I am tasting some improvement with the old design burrs! The chirp point moved (increased) by 4 clicks. My typical grind size for 30gr beans is at 7 full points from 0 (chirp). I maintened the 7 points difference with the new burrs and visually the grind size seems to be same. At the beginning there were more fines but I have experienced same also after I just received the grinder. Seasoned burrs produce less fines.

What is your experience for filter with this grinder?

OldmatefromOZ

#1157: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

chortya wrote:
What is your experience for filter with this grinder?
Old unimodal SSP, ran 6 kg of old baked oily beans through / cleaned before first use.

Using very light cuppjng style filter roasts 16g V60 / Clever, 1:17 at 6 full numbers from zero sticker.
Cupping 12g / 220g at 4 numbers.

Getting stunning filter and cupping brews. Distinct clarity of flavours / aromas with good body for 1:17 - 1:18. Also delicious espresso 1:2.5 - 3.

Ive owned a long list of grinders commercial and home, the Lagom really is a fine piece of kit for the price, quiet, fast and easy to use.

Feel pretty lucky to be able to own such a device given past experience.

Advertisement
JustPruIt

#1158: Post by JustPruIt replying to OldmatefromOZ »

So would you say I could get rid of my Ode once my Lagom comes in?

konacano

#1159: Post by konacano »

Runout measurements:

Lower burr carrier (rotating): 0.0015" (38 µm)
Burrface-to-burrface: 0.0005" (12 µm)
Upper burr carrier (fixed): 0.001" (25 µm)

RSS = 45 µm

My burr chirp to lock is 5 to 6 minor ticks (50 to 60µm). The Universal burrs do not lock. Some of the burr chirp to lock can be thread play in the adjustment mechanism. The runout measurement can easily stack to explain all of it, plus other tolerances I didn't measure.

Want to stress these measured tolerances are very high precision, especially for a mass produced consumer product. You'd pay a lot money to have this made at your local shop in North America, Europe, etc.

Some of you reporting smaller chirp to lock may have better aligned burrs than my unit. Some may be worse. Hard to say.

Will keep enjoying the coffee made by my new grinder.

bakafish

#1160: Post by bakafish »

Bunkmil wrote:You put some (teflon?) tape on the thread of the upper burr carrier ?

My teflon tape is too thick so I used it only on the red lines and used the transparent tape on the blue lines.