Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 102

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

#1011: Post by bakafish »

Peter_SVK wrote:As I've written before, with H-U burrs my espresso setting is half turn of collar from ZP, so plenty room to choke any machine. Maybe you should check the alignment of yours with marker.
Mine doesn't go that far, only 22-25 grids (100 grids on the collar) from zero for 18g light roast beans (but not very light). It looks the performances are very different (half turn, 1/4 turn, and almost cannot make decent shot). Could it be the SSP HU burrs problem?

smite

#1012: Post by smite »

lessthanjoey wrote:OK - so you mean the smallest change you can physically make goes from too coarse to chirping? That seems awful, and would be drastically more sensitive than my SJ. On my SJ I make slight tweaks (think 2s on a 1:2 shot) that are about 1/200th of a rotation and that's easy enough even with the SJ's not smooth adjustment. Chirping is a good ~4/100ths away from the finest I've ever used on any coffee, including on the Decent with blooming shots and most coffees are more like 6-10/100ths away.

That's why I'm questioning if it's a gross alignment issue where there's chirping at one spot but the other side of the burrs are not close to touching (which would be why the grind is still coarse). Ie., they can still be too far apart, but also touching at the same time. That would also explain why your grinder has an issue when others don't (there are several Decent owners with them) - and you have an issue even making shots work on an MCAL! It seems like your sample is somehow broken to me and alignment is the most obvious way that can happen. There would be enormous outroar in this thread and elsewhere if the Lagom was not rationally capable of espresso on "normal" machines.
Thanks for the tips but as I mentioned earlier I did the alignment marker test and the alignment was actually pretty good. This is either a manufacturing defect or something along those lines.

lessthanjoey

#1013: Post by lessthanjoey replying to smite »

Sorry, I missed that you'd done a marker test. Definitely agree with "a manufacturing defect or something along those lines" as the spec'd adjustment resolution and those burrs absolutely should work just fine based on my experience. Have you contacted Option-O yet to get this resolved?

lessthanjoey

#1014: Post by lessthanjoey »

bakafish wrote:Mine doesn't go that far, only 22-25 grids (100 grids on the collar) from zero for 18g light roast beans (but not very light). It looks the performances are very different (half turn, 1/4 turn, and almost cannot make decent shot). Could it be the SSP HU burrs problem?
I don't think HU SSP burrs can have that much variation and I've never heard of this before with the same burrs on other grinders. You're talking grind exit size varying 100um! There's zero chance their manufacturing is that bad. Also note that Smite had issues with both burr sets, not just SSP HU.

smite

#1015: Post by smite »

bakafish wrote:Mine doesn't go that far, only 22-25 grids (100 grids on the collar) from zero for 18g light roast beans (but not very light). It looks the performances are very different (half turn, 1/4 turn, and almost cannot make decent shot). Could it be the SSP HU burrs problem?
Thats an interesting thought. I may end up swapping back in the original burrs and see what result I have. When I had them installed originally after break in my distance dial in point was less than a quarter turn to ZP which is about the same place it is with the H-U burrs. I ordered and put in the SSP burrs since I was hoping it would give me a bigger range.

bakafish

#1016: Post by bakafish »

lessthanjoey wrote:I don't think HU SSP burrs can have that much variation and I've never heard of this before with the same burrs on other grinders. You're talking grind exit size varying 100um! There's zero chance their manufacturing is that bad. Also note that Smite had issues with both burr sets, not just SSP HU.
Actually it is 200um as one grid is 10um :D. I don't have very high praise for the SSP burrs. What can cause so different performances (half turn, 1/4 turn, and almost cannot make decent shot) without alignment issue? There might be some problems of the recent burrs production. Who knows.

lessthanjoey

#1017: Post by lessthanjoey »

I think claims like that need some evidence. 200um is visible, both to the naked eye and would be utterly clear on the marker test where the low spots were at the exits.

bakafish

#1018: Post by bakafish replying to lessthanjoey »

I don't know the real exit grind size. I just based on Peter_SVK's said his Lagom uses half turn which is 50 grids from zero, but mine uses 22-25 grids only.

Peter_SVK

#1019: Post by Peter_SVK »

It might depend on the roast level, dose, basket size (diameter, number of holes), I don't know. I use 20g, IMS H32 (32mm height) basket for DC (nominal 54mm diameter), omni-roast (light). Yesterday afternoon I swapped the burrs back to unimodal (taste suits me better).

Actuall espresso setting with unimodal burrs (1st extraction after burrs swapping, have to fine tune it a bit), typical is ca. 1.5

Net extraction time and coffee output (Gardelli Ethiopia Shantewena, SCA 90.50, omni-roast)

Total extraction time incl. PI (pre-wetting, ...) 55.3s

Typical espresso setting with HU burrs (note: for HU burrs ZP moves to ca. +0.5, so exactly half turn from unimodal (5.5 - 0.5 = 5.0))

lessthanjoey

#1020: Post by lessthanjoey »

When burrs are changed is zero always reset to hard stop? Or is it an arbitrary number?