Lagom P100 - Page 50

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cordy5134

#491: Post by cordy5134 »

Had some great time using the brew burr with size 0.2 to pull some 1:3 shot under 6bar. 20g in 30 second. These brew burrs really shine inside a p100, crazy uniformity, very clear and taste like fruit bomb with light roast beans

iyayy

#492: Post by iyayy »

sorry can i ask?
brew burr = ssp LU?
and 0.2 means just 2mm or 2 mark from chirping?
i dont have a lagom, just like to ask for reference.
thanks.

Shenrei

#493: Post by Shenrei replying to iyayy »

Brew burrs are SSP 98 Brewing burrs, not LU, ULF, or HU

.2 means two ticks from 0. Each whole number has 10 ticks
- Tim

Eiern

#494: Post by Eiern »

Each tick/line is 7.5 microns so ~15 micron burr gap.

I used something similar when I pulled spro with Brew in P100, I tended to like fast shots that didn't reach as much pressure vs trying finer/slower. I usually was like 3 ticks off zero for that.

Installed LU burrs in my P100 today, have them on loan from a friend. Will be interesting to get to know them. I own HU, Brew, ULF and EK43S burrs.

jjamesee

#495: Post by jjamesee »

I've just received a P100 with brew burrs, only use very light roasted beans, 96C water temperature, burrs not properly seasoned yet (only 2kg) and I make 12g/180g filter brews with hario 40 piece 01 filters (normally around 2m 30s), I'm looking to get max acidity and not too thin body, but finding it difficult to get to correct grind size.

It feels like with these burrs it's really difficult to over-extract light roasts, water flows very fast and grind size anywhere between 7 and 4 produced drinkable results, however, when I'm grinding coarser to get more acidity, it results in a very thin/weak body, and when I go finer I get a sweeter cup+ a bit better body, but lose some of that acidity.

Any tips on how to bring out more acidity without losing body? Have you noticed significant changes as burrs get more seasoned?

Eiern

#496: Post by Eiern »

I'm at about 6.5 setting with Brew for 12/200g pourovers with my water and beans. I feel Brew usually give a nice acidity when beans have that, so maybe it'll solve itself with more seasoning. I had a hard time figuring grind setting until they seasoned enough, it was all more of a haze and hard to get something that felt totally right. I can get a brighter and more clear/clean cup if I go a line or two coarser or a little sweeter and more complex cup if I go a line or two finer.

jjamesee

#497: Post by jjamesee »

Eiern wrote:it was all more of a haze and hard to get something that felt totally right.
Thanks Eiern, exactly my impression so far, will get about 8kgs of beans today and report later

Peter_SVK

#498: Post by Peter_SVK »

jjamesee wrote:I've just received a P100 with brew burrs, only use very light roasted beans, 96C water temperature, burrs not properly seasoned yet (only 2kg) and I make 12g/180g filter brews with hario 40 piece 01 filters (normally around 2m 30s), I'm looking to get max acidity and not too thin body, but finding it difficult to get to correct grind size.

It feels like with these burrs it's really difficult to over-extract light roasts, water flows very fast and grind size anywhere between 7 and 4 produced drinkable results, however, when I'm grinding coarser to get more acidity, it results in a very thin/weak body, and when I go finer I get a sweeter cup+ a bit better body, but lose some of that acidity.

Any tips on how to bring out more acidity without losing body? Have you noticed significant changes as burrs get more seasoned?
Try to go fine with the grinder to get a body, but lower the temperature by 1 (2) degrees to force an acidity.
I'm not an expert for brew, but this works for espresso and it's very easy to try.

jjamesee

#499: Post by jjamesee »

Thanks guys, seasoning sorted out the issue eventually, I'm mostly around 6.5 now for filter with consistent results

Corgo

#500: Post by Corgo »

There are also import fees for items over $800.