Lagom P100 - Page 48

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chappcc

#471: Post by chappcc »

GorchT wrote:Just as a general recommendation, I would always put in the beans when it is running. The risk of damaging the motor is too high for me. For helping with your problem, do you use different beans then before? Higher altitude, different plant species, smaller beans or lighter roasted might explain why its not working.
Have you noted a difference in extraction between starting with all beans in the grinder vs. feeding the beans after the grinder has started. On my "motorized HG-1" (conical burr set), I get a much faster extraction when feeding the beans after the grinder has started resulting in a weaker espresso.

Chrizt

#472: Post by Chrizt »

Fizzurb wrote:I might've messed up my grinder. After doing some research online, I decided to try seasoning my new p100 with some old beans I had around. I had ground about 15 ounces of beans when the grinder just shut off. Several hours have passed since and it still will not turn on. I've even opened it up and cleaned out all the stuck grounds to no luck.

In hindsight, I was probably grinding too fast. I went through 15 ounces in about 5 minutes, but I am still surprised if this created a serious problem!

Any help would be appreciated!
Any update on your issue ?

My P100 seems to have lost torque and cannot move past speed dial 3. Well I can move it past 3 but the speed doesn't change and the grinder is struggling to grind the beans even when putting in the beans while it's running. Super frustrating with a brand new high end grinder

zefkir

#473: Post by zefkir »

It shouldn't do that, what did Option-O say?

Chrizt

#474: Post by Chrizt replying to zefkir »

They are also saying it shouldn't do this but they haven't provided a solution as of yet

level3ninja

#475: Post by level3ninja »

chappcc wrote:Have you noted a difference in extraction between starting with all beans in the grinder vs. feeding the beans after the grinder has started. On my "EG-1" (conical burr set), I get a much faster extraction when feeding the beans after the grinder has started resulting in a weaker espresso.
How on earth did you get a conical burr set into an EG-1?

zefkir

#476: Post by zefkir »

Chrizt wrote:They are also saying it shouldn't do this but they haven't provided a solution as of yet
I feel like it's pretty straightforward going forward, they should provide some procedure to diagnose the issue, and then depending on the outcome, either provide you with replacement parts if it's simple, or have you ship them back the grinder for repair or exchange otherwise.

chappcc

#477: Post by chappcc »

level3ninja wrote:How on earth did you get a conical burr set into an EG-1?
Sorry should have been motorized "HG-1"

Chrizt

#478: Post by Chrizt »

zefkir wrote:I feel like it's pretty straightforward going forward, they should provide some procedure to diagnose the issue, and then depending on the outcome, either provide you with replacement parts if it's simple, or have you ship them back the grinder for repair or exchange otherwise.
I agree. It does make me a bit nervous about the future for this grinder. I have owned several Mahlkonig grinders and they have never had an issue. I guess this is the risk with a new and unproven product

level3ninja

#479: Post by level3ninja replying to Chrizt »

You also need to consider the percentage of Mahlkönig owners on coffee forums vs Option-O owners on forums. Mahlkönig grinders do have issues, but you're much less likely to hear about it.

GorchT

#480: Post by GorchT »

chappcc wrote:Have you noted a difference in extraction between starting with all beans in the grinder vs. feeding the beans after the grinder has started. On my "EG-1" (conical burr set), I get a much faster extraction when feeding the beans after the grinder has started resulting in a weaker espresso.
This I would argue is due to the fact that you get more fines with a "cold" start. I prefer my shots with the smallest amount of fines possible. To get more fines you can play with the speed of the burrs or get a more bi modal burr set. But I did never do the cold start myself because I don't want that style of espresso