Lagom P100 - Page 47

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Godzlittlesoldier

#461: Post by Godzlittlesoldier »

Eiern wrote:My Brew burrs didn't get really good until probably closer to the 10 kilo mark. I think I seasoned them with about 6 kilos the day I got them and did find my brews a bit weak with astringency and bitterness at first, and wasn't properly thrilled with the results even though they showed signs of being good. After a while they relaxed and opened up and I don't have astringency or bitterness unless I do bad stuff causing micro channeling.

Now they just deliver really nice brews, as long as the beans are really nice of course. And they extract well, so I don't really have to force or push things much. I do mostly Kono brews with them if the beans are high quality, and then V60 and the occational Kalita.
Thanks for the thorough answer!
Out of curiosity, what grind setting are you at? I am at a 8 for my kalita wave at 18g/300g. The coffee tastes great but I am not sure if there is something off about my grinder, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks again!

TheodorAdorno

#462: Post by TheodorAdorno »

Hi all,

I have had my P100 a couple of weeks now and am very impressed!

Question- I currently have LU burrs fitted. I am in no hurry but I also have a spare set of SSP HU 98mm burrs (taken from a Titus Nautilus in which I've now put Brew burrs) and was wondering if I risk messing up the current alignment if I swap the burrs in the Lagom at some point in the future?

On the one hand I am very much an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of person, but on the other hand, it would be nice to try the Lagom with HU burrs at some point in the future ...

If SSP 98mm burrs can readily be swapped in and out of the Lagom without a hitch, great, but are there any potential problems I should look out for?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Paul.

Advertisement
frankqxq

#463: Post by frankqxq »

I am using brewing burrs in P100 with factory shim installed one on each side. With 0 as touching, I normally do pourover at 3.7-4.0 mark now. This is the borderline choking point for some beans and I need to be careful with my pouring disturbance and flow rate. Normally with 1:17 water ratio, ~3min drawdown, I get 1.5-1.6% tds, implying ~22-23% extraction. For some really nice and light beans, the taste is still very clean, and even slightly weak in some cases.

beancrusher

#464: Post by beancrusher »

What are typical shot profiles people pull with the P100 and high uniformity burrs? I've seen people advocate for fast flowing turbos at 2:1, but also longer 3:1 ratios using what I assume are more standard 9 bar and lever profiles with declining pressure. Does anyone here use the P100 w/ HUs for medium/dark roasted coffee and if so, what profiles and ratios do you use for those?

Godzlittlesoldier

#465: Post by Godzlittlesoldier »

What do you mean factory shims installed on each side? Thank you.

MNate

#466: Post by MNate »

beancrusher wrote:What are typical shot profiles people pull with the P100 and high uniformity burrs? I've seen people advocate for fast flowing turbos at 2:1, but also longer 3:1 ratios using what I assume are more standard 9 bar and lever profiles with declining pressure. Does anyone here use the P100 w/ HUs for medium/dark roasted coffee and if so, what profiles and ratios do you use for those?
Since you have a Decent you can check Visualizer and search under grinder name. Almost everyone is doing Extractamundo or Turbo/Turbo and a 1:2. One person seems to be doing an Adaptive for Medium roast and someone is even doing the Filter profile! Interesting...

I need to get myself a P100...

Chrizt

#467: Post by Chrizt »

Hi all

My P100 is suddenly experiencing some issues starting up. I have had it for a couple of months now and I put in the beans and start the grinder with the auto grind/purge button at speed 9(top speed). Now it seems that the grinder has lost torque and now is unable to grind unless the grinder is running when I pour in the beans. Has anyone experienced something similar ? Any ideas on what could be going on ?

I sent an email to Option O but havent heard back from them yet.

Advertisement
GorchT

#468: Post by GorchT replying to Chrizt »

Just as a general recommendation, I would always put in the beans when it is running. The risk of damaging the motor is too high for me. For helping with your problem, do you use different beans then before? Higher altitude, different plant species, smaller beans or lighter roasted might explain why its not working.

Chrizt

#469: Post by Chrizt »

Any update on your issue ?

My P100 seems to have lost torque and cannot move past speed dial 3. Well I can move it past 3 but the speed doesn't change and the grinder is struggling to grind the beans even when putting in the beans while it's running. Super frustrating with a brand new high end grinder

Chrizt

#470: Post by Chrizt »

GorchT wrote:Just as a general recommendation, I would always put in the beans when it is running. The risk of damaging the motor is too high for me. For helping with your problem, do you use different beans then before? Higher altitude, different plant species, smaller beans or lighter roasted might explain why its not working.
Thanks for the recommendation but option o themselves say you can run from off with beans in. And the auto purge and off feature seems built to run from off with beans in it. And every single grinder on the market with a hopper runs like this so it's super disappointing if a very high end grinder dies from doing this for a month or two. Most not be a very good motor if this is the case.