Lagom P100 - Page 43

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Eiern

#421: Post by Eiern »

2-4 marks lock to rub is pretty normal. It's also normal that things move a bit after use/seasoning. Also there is some slop with static carrier/grind adjustment mechanism and marker test is not 100% reliable. To have a peace of mind I always try out the possible burr/static carrier combos to get the best alignment without shims. Go by lowest zero point and steady sound at lowest speed and do multiple tries and push adjustment collar north/south/east/west and you'll experience how the adjustment collar's slop for it to work plays in with alignment, and how you might get different marker wipes depending on how the collar was handled when tightening it down.

With my well seasoned by now Brew burrs I do 20 sec 18:45-ish at 2-3 marks from rub zero point. With ULF it's more like 10 marks from zero for a slightly slower and slightly longer pour, and with HU it's over 10 marks usually and a tighter/normal shot but also usually not over 20 seconds.

The Brew burrs are not much traditional espresso capable. But they do some nice shots if you play to it's strengths and don't mind turbos, maybe dial down pressure and water debit.

frankqxq

#422: Post by frankqxq »

Hi Eiern thanks for the reply and explanation. Same experience here. I guess the zero point here is floating a bit then, depending on the force you apply when you change grind setting/move the collar. I can hear the touching point changing depending on where I push the collar. There is no way to achieve further improvement in alignment then, given the carrier design and that each time when I move the dial the force my hands apply is not consistent...It may be slightly better aligned when I push it toward a direction but when I adjust the grind setting again it would be slightly different. With this in mind, I will stop my quest of finding the zero point. Can't imagine how much damage I cost to the burrs by playing around with zero so frequently hehe

jsaccio1+

#423: Post by jsaccio1+ »

Are you getting consistent shots?

Been using P100 for two weeks and I can't get consistent shots. I'm moving the setting no more than one line in either direction based on flow time/weight. I was using a Sette waiting for P100 to arrive and was able to get consistent shots on my Linea Mini.

Just wondering if others had some difficulty dialing it in. Thanks, Joe

Jeff
Team HB

#424: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

Would you describe your prep a bit?

tompoland

#425: Post by tompoland »

FWIW I was having the same 'chasing the dial' challenge with a new 83mm mazzer concial burr grinder. it became consistent after 2.3kg of beans were through it. I recorded the grind setting on every grind/pour from the first grind and I noted the weight of beans in, the espresso machine setting (DE1XL), weight out, roast/batch number, date for each grind/pour. So I think I was reasonably thorough. Some people think that seasoning burrs is unimportant but having had over ten new grinders over the last 18 months I've found the some seem consistent from the get go and others just need a couple of kilos through them so you don't go completely nuts trying to get a good pour.
jsaccio1+ wrote:Are you getting consistent shots?

Been using P100 for two weeks and I can't get consistent shots. I'm moving the setting no more than one line in either direction based on flow time/weight. I was using a Sette waiting for P100 to arrive and was able to get consistent shots on my Linea Mini.

Just wondering if others had some difficulty dialing it in. Thanks, Joe
Some people drink coffee to wake up, I wake up to drink coffee.

mikeTRON

#426: Post by mikeTRON »

tompoland wrote:FWIW I was having the same 'chasing the dial' challenge with a new 83mm mazzer concial burr grinder. it became consistent after 2.3kg of beans were through it. I recorded the grind setting on every grind/pour from the first grind and I noted the weight of beans in, the espresso machine setting (DE1XL), weight out, roast/batch number, date for each grind/pour. So I think I was reasonably thorough. Some people think that seasoning burrs is unimportant but having had over ten new grinders over the last 18 months I've found the some seem consistent from the get go and others just need a couple of kilos through them so you don't go completely nuts trying to get a good pour.

Jeez, what 10 grinders have you had in the past 18 months? Which are your favorite and why?
Asking as I also have a Decent, and a Niche... but im considering upgrading grinders.

jsaccio1+

#427: Post by jsaccio1+ »

Beans are weighed. I start with one spray of water on the beans. I grind into portafilter with included dosing ring. I stir with WDT. Tap, use distribution tool a few turns, then tamp with Decent tamper. These are the same steps I used with the Sette.

tompoland

#428: Post by tompoland »

mikeTRON wrote: Jeez, what 10 grinders have you had in the past 18 months? Which are your favorite and why?
Asking as I also have a Decent, and a Niche... but im considering upgrading grinders.
I made a list of the grinders which were as follows (listed in chronological order of acquisition):

1. Sunbeam Café Series EM0480 (38mm conical)
2. Porlex Tall ll (hand grinder)
3. Breville Smart Pro (2x) (40mm conical)
4. Ascaso i2 Mini (54mm flat)
5. Eureka Helios 80 (80mm flat)
6. ECM V-Titan 64 (64mm flat)
7. Weber EG-1 (80mm flat) *
8. Niche Zero - 3x, long story, don't ask - (63mm conical) *
9. Kinu M47 Classic (47mm conical) *
10. Quamar Q50 E (54mm flat)
11. Fellow Ode (64mm flat)
12. Mahlkonig X54 Allrounder (54mm flat)
13. Malwani Livi (83mm conical) *
14. Hedone Honne (68mm conical followed by 68mm flat) *

* denotes still on my coffee bench

My favorite right now is the 83mm Mazzer burrs I put into the Malwani Livi but the recently acquired Honne may take first place ... just seasoning it so early days but showing a lot of promise. That's for medium roasted espresso. For lighter roasts it would be the EG-1.

Love the Niche though!

The reason I had/have so many is because initially I had no idea what grinders were all about and now I just really enjoy trying new grinders and passing them on at a discount to someone in the Coffee Snobs community from where I have learned so much.

PS ... now a bit worried I'm derailing the thread. HB admin please just delete if this response is inappropriate for this thread.
Some people drink coffee to wake up, I wake up to drink coffee.

Eiern

#429: Post by Eiern »

I have not had any consistency issues with my P100 and 3 pairs of burrs, seasoned with maybe 3-6 kilos of beans through every set once I got them, can't remember.

Eiern

#430: Post by Eiern »

Consistent, but doesn't look like much though :lol: