Lagom P100 - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#11: Post by Jonk »

Eiern wrote:I'm very impressed with the high extracted and clean espressos I get from the Lagom Unimodals. I'm demoing the High Uniformity burrs now, installed them in the Lagom from today. I do prefer the EK with stock burrs for filter brews, the Lagom Unimodal was too clean, boring, little body and sweetness and complexity.
Out of curiosity Are these the true unimodal burrs or the new multi-purpose with the little flat surfaces?

The page is down now by the way. Good thing there's an image on reddit :wink:

foam2

#12: Post by foam2 »

Was there something posted? I didn't see anything from the link.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Eiern

#13: Post by Eiern »

Jonk wrote:Out of curiosity Are these the true unimodal burrs or the new multi-purpose with the little flat surfaces?
I have the standard brew burrs from SSP in my Super Jolly and the same unmodified ones in my friends Lagom, he ordered all three SSP sets.

I have ordered the new multipurpose/modified ones to come with my Lagom, so that I will have both and can use the ones I like the best.

The P100 product page said that the SSP High Uniformity would be the standard burr. It has variable RPM, auto detect off, and it has built in programmed speed ramp up at the end to empty burr retention for lower speed settings. It said 0.1g retention for both with or without RDT.

I agree that I'm sceptical that I could detect much difference between a blind and a burr with screw holes in the cup, the wholes are not in the finishing section, but it's a neater cleaner design and seems like a better way to do things. I expect it can be hard to get some magnetic burrs out as even the standard burrs in the Lagom P64 can be tricky enough.

thoang77

#14: Post by thoang77 »

STG wrote:A new company named Ozik is coming out with an 80mm grinder. Maybe it will be the one.
I've been following Ozik for what feels like a year now and I've given up hope seeing that thing anytime before 2022. It went from "they'll be available end of 2020!" in September to dodging every question under the sun regarding availability. I appreciate their design but they're spreading themselves so thin with four different grinder designs from the gate. Granted, there's a ton of overlap in terms of R&D, but manufacturing all that simultaneously for an upstart company just seems like a lot
masterpotatohead wrote:Whilst I like your optimism. Given that the P64 is already ~$1,500, seems like this will comfortably be in the $2-3K range.
$1800 US for the black one from the US importer Prima-Coffee. Going from 64mm to 98mm SSPs is already ~$300 alone, easily pushing it into 2k range as you mentioned. I'm guessing the goal is to fall just under 3k to outprice the flat max
foam2 wrote:Was there something posted? I didn't see anything from the link.
There was... they appear to have pulled it from their site. But as we all know, nothing on the internet disappears. https://web.archive.org/web/20210407165 ... lagom-p100

LewBK

#15: Post by LewBK »

I have a Eureka Atom Pro and while I'd hesitate to call anything "end game," it's pretty good to excellent as a brew grinder, can do espresso and has 75mm burrs.

Me2
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Me2 »

Imo Hayden and the gang need to up the motor to 400-500W.

ConFlatExp

#17: Post by ConFlatExp »

i hope they release it officially soon, will be ready to grab a preorder hopefully

https://imgur.com/a/UA1Udra

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Amberale

#18: Post by Amberale »

Me2 wrote:Imo Hayden and the gang need to up the motor to 400-500W.
I wonder if it has that offset to accommodate a reduction gear to compensate for wattage.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#19: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain » replying to Amberale »

They stated a pretty wide range for rpm. So a gear reduction could not help much with transferring speed to torque.
I would assume they have a closed loop controller, for speed. This would enable the advertised auto shut off and smart purge with only a bit of additional effort. The complicated part here is the cascade controller, controlling voltage and current to enable max torque at any speed. Nailing the controller paramters for a changing load is really hard if you try to achieve a steady speed.
With the Weber EG1 you can hear the rpm going up and down during grinding.