LAGOM mini - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ataytslin

#91: Post by ataytslin »

I was early June and actually got mine a couple weeks early. I am in Providence, RI.

Also had emailed them in the couple weeks since and was able to purchase the moonshine burrs this morning to add to the obsydian I originally got. Obviously can only speak to my own experience, but Option-O customer service has been exceptional. They have always responded to my emails within a few days (many times within 24hr). Good luck to everyone with their new grinders!

- Andrew

MCal2003

#92: Post by MCal2003 »

Just checked the Option-O webpage. No 38mm option. Only the 48mm Obsydian and Moonshine available for September dispatch. Was considering 38mm burr version for a pour over only use. Not sure what shipping and handling fees are. Guessing this is now ~$400 grinder. Limited V60 coffee drinker. Primarily a mid-day winter beverage. Now considering a 1Zpresso K-Pro at ~1/2 the cost. Really like the Mini's design, function factor. Might still convince myself to put in an order.

Anyone know if the MINI's motor is user replaceable and will/does Option-O have replacement motors? Or did they design and build it like access to an iPhone battery. aka a pita.
LMWDP #151

Advertisement
ultramaroon

#93: Post by ultramaroon »

Wanted to report that my mini also stopped working. It was midway through grinding some medium roast-- it seemed a bit louder than usual when it started -- and then it just suddenly stopped running, even though it still sounds like the motor is running. It never stalled or anything like that. I cleaned out the beans -- nothing; disassembled the burrs -- still nothing. Motor makes a sound but nothing turns, probably the same as level3ninjas issues. This was from the april batch, which I preordered in February. A bit disappointed as it's my secondary/travel grinder which I've used only occasionally, probably twenty times total... (Fortunately that means I don't have to go without espresso while I get this sorted.) I've sent an email to contact@option-o and I am optimistic about the customer service based on the experience of others here.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#94: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

MCal2003 wrote:Just checked the Option-O webpage. No 38mm option. Only the 48mm Obsydian and Moonshine available for September dispatch. Was considering 38mm burr version for a pour over only use. Not sure what shipping and handling fees are. Guessing this is now ~$400 grinder. Limited V60 coffee drinker. Primarily a mid-day winter beverage. Now considering a 1Zpresso K-Pro at ~1/2 the cost. Really like the Mini's design, function factor. Might still convince myself to put in an order.

Anyone know if the MINI's motor is user replaceable and will/does Option-O have replacement motors? Or did they design and build it like access to an iPhone battery. aka a pita.
I don't know if this helps but the Mini burrs look a helluva lot like a hand grinder's. I think these things are really just motorized hand grinders. I thought about getting a Mini but opted for a K-max for some of the reasons to which you allude. Doing 20 grams of lightly roasted beans for v-60 takes about 20 seconds. It's a nice cup.

level3ninja

#95: Post by level3ninja »

MCal2003 wrote:Anyone know if the MINI's motor is user replaceable and will/does Option-O have replacement motors? Or did they design and build it like access to an iPhone battery. aka a pita.
Depends what you call user replaceable, I'd say average user no, but if you have a small amount of mechanical aptitude it's doable.
It's less painful than an iPhone battery, but it's more involved than e.g. changing the burrs. You only need 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm Allen keys, small flat blade screwdriver, possibly a 4mm drill bit or just under to drill a hole in the shaft of the new motor if it doesn't have one in the right place. You also need a basic understanding of simple DC circuits. Whether OO will sell you one I don't know.

B2uatk

#96: Post by B2uatk »

Just got mine. Used it for couple of days - built very nicely. Its not that light..I mean it's nicely substantially built.

I had some questions -

1. Did you guys have to season the burrs?
2. Who all got the new burrs (moonshine) vs the obsidian burr's

I am comparing it with a 83mm conical as my there grinder and even with that (and maybe it's obvious) that the flavor is diff.

MCal2003

#97: Post by MCal2003 »

thirdcrackfourthwave wrote:I don't know if this helps but the Mini burrs look a helluva lot like a hand grinder's. I think these things are really just motorized hand grinders. I thought about getting a Mini but opted for a K-max for some of the reasons to which you allude. Doing 20 grams of lightly roasted beans for v-60 takes about 20 seconds. It's a nice cup.
Decided to follow a similar path. Purchased the 1Zpresso K-Pro. ~1/2 the price of the Mini at AMZ ($209 and no shipping fee), no history of issues, hard to justify the cost of the Mini for the occasional V60, Most important based on reviews and personal taste profile. Very capable grinder. Less things to go wrong and easy maintenance.
LMWDP #151

Advertisement
thirdcrackfourthwave

#98: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave replying to MCal2003 »

Of course I'm biased (FTR I also have a Q2 for camping) but wonderful, congrats. I think you will be happy.

p4lxrich

#99: Post by p4lxrich »

Ordered 5/12 with obsedian. Changed to moonshine at 6/9. Just got it today 7/12.

majs2009

#100: Post by majs2009 replying to p4lxrich »

It looks like they are ahead of schedule on the lagom mini. May I ask what color and what dispatch timeline you had on your order? I have placed my order on 5/16 (mid-late August dispatch) for the black model but still no shipping notification yet.