LAGOM mini - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
boren

#61: Post by boren »

An easy way to resolve the stalling would be to use a more powerful motor. It seems they tried to reduce costs too much here.

LewBK

#62: Post by LewBK »

There is a lot more to the video than the resolvable stalling issue, namely taste and retention tests.

byzhk

#63: Post by byzhk »

is there any way to speed up the lagom mini motor? for example can i use like 36v power supply to speed it up?

also is there any "hack" of modification for lagom mini yet?

equedadoii

#64: Post by equedadoii »

Hi! Just wondering if anyone here has any further experience about the Mini for daily espresso use. I'd use it w/ a Robot. I am kind of hoping it would manage okay for mediums and the occasional light espressos once a day.

kkoltunf

#65: Post by kkoltunf »

I would like to use the Lagom Mini with a Robot too, so I'm interested in how folks have been using it thus far. By the way, my understanding is that Lagom knows about the issues with light roasts and is looking into another power supply brick that will do the trick. My hope is that the issue is resolved by the time the new arrivals come in (hopefully this month).

Lancehedrick

#66: Post by Lancehedrick »

Hey! So, they had me purchase a new power supply cord that supposedly would draw more power to the unit. I did this and it improved the stalling quite a bit, but I still had some stalling issues if I were to go to a fineness setting that matches, say, 150 on the Bentwood. Hope that helps. They are sending another unit to ensure mine was not faulty, but we will see. It is odd they chose to use only 85 watts of the built in motor.

XT14

#67: Post by XT14 »

I received mine a couple weeks ago and used only about a dozen times or so, but so far been quite lucky with no stalling (even in Tokyo on weak 100V/50hz). I use generally light roast for pourover and medium for espresso. So, I could see it stalling if I'm trying to turn my yirgacheffe light roasts into espresso, but, that's not my aim.

I was using a Rok Grinder before, which was fine for my Flair Pro 2, but could not grind fine enough for my Flair 58. I'm an espresso once-a-week kinda guy, so I was considering flat burrs since majority I do is pour over, but none of the popular grinders these days come in a 100V option, or if they do are 2-3x the price to buy here. So, rather than considering to immensly overpay for a localized Eureka or try to import something from U.S. plus use a 120 to 100V converter, this 100-240V grinder seemed an amazing option (arrived from China a week or two after ordering for ~400USD).

Plus, I think it looks adorable if I'm being honest :P

equedadoii

#68: Post by equedadoii »

Lancehedrick wrote:Hey! So, they had me purchase a new power supply cord that supposedly would draw more power to the unit. I did this and it improved the stalling quite a bit, but I still had some stalling issues if I were to go to a fineness setting that matches, say, 150 on the Bentwood. Hope that helps. They are sending another unit to ensure mine was not faulty, but we will see. It is odd they chose to use only 85 watts of the built in motor.
Well...that's not so reassuring! I have already reserved my space on a waitlist, and now I wonder about whether that's so wise. I'm hopeful the stalling will be resolved before the next shipment dispatches. Probably should be taking the reservations re: daily espresso use more seriously.

level3ninja

#69: Post by level3ninja »

equedadoii wrote:I have already reserved my space on a waitlist
How did you do this? I thought they only had email notifications to tell you when stock was coming back

equedadoii

#70: Post by equedadoii replying to level3ninja »

One of the authorized retailers, Cafune, was taking reservations. Idk if that's still the case, but you can get in touch with them and see where they are.