LAGOM mini - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ethiopianbuffman

#11: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

It looks like it will do well. I think this is direct competitor to the Fellow Ode and a good alternative to those who want conical profile. I don't think they will release espresso burrs for this as I think the motor may? be too weak. I think if you want pour over and espresso, the Arco is your best bet currently for that price point.

I am a little concerned about the spacing of the exit chute from the body as the cup and back the chute almost match in spacing so could be messy (speculation).

LUPER

#12: Post by LUPER »

Have any of you ordered the Lagom mini and already have it at home? If so, what is yours first experience?

Advertisement
dlowyr717

#13: Post by dlowyr717 »

So far my order has not yet been delivered.

It was shipped Fedex "International Priority" on 29-Mar from SHENZHEN CN. Currently it is rolling around SENNAN-SHI JP, visiting all of the local hotspots.

Anybody else?

truemagellen

#14: Post by truemagellen »

So the Lagom is made in shenzhen? Weird I thought it was taiwan

dlowyr717

#15: Post by dlowyr717 »

According to this post from Option-o co-founder Hayden in Oct-2019, Option-o equipment is manufactured in China.

/me shrugs

LUPER

#16: Post by LUPER »

My order has not been shipped yet, because there were more orders, than Lagom mini was made. :(

Peter_SVK

#17: Post by Peter_SVK »

What a pity! So keep your Ceado a little longer before you sell it.

Advertisement
LUPER

#18: Post by LUPER replying to Peter_SVK »

The are waiting for parts to come in this week for dispatch. :wink:

jrham12

#19: Post by jrham12 »

I jumped on it as soon as they had it available on their website and received it about 2 weeks ago... Unfortunately I can't share any photos or anything as I have it packed away temporarily since we are going to be starting a kitchen remodel.

I will say that it is a very nice little grinder. I bought it as an electric alternative to my Lido hand grinder for pourover and aeropress duty. The burr set is fairly small (like in their remi hand grinder) so it is not a fast grinder... Grinding 20 gram or so of beans takes about the same amount of time as it does using the Lido. However, the grind consistency (at least to the naked eye) looks to be better than what the Lido churns out. The burrs are titanium coated so I expect it to continue to slowly improve.

It uses a DC motor so it comes with a BIG wall wart AC / DC converter... Surprisingly big! I have it plugged in above an Amazon Alexa smart switch and it is taller and deeper although not as wide. I have to say that aspect of it is not very aesthetically pleasing. The DC motor also produces a pretty high pitched "shrieking" sound when it runs... Much louder than the P64 or Atom 75 it was sitting alongside. When I get it back out I'll have to check the sound level with an app on my phone, but the bothersome aspect is that it is a higher-pitched, unpleasant sound.

I will say that Option-O's customer service is top notch so far... Unfortunately a few days into using it it just stopped grinding. The motor would run but the burr would not rotate. Option-O immediately responded to my e-mail and advised that they would send me a replacement unit. Unfortunately as Luper pointed out, that replacement is delayed due to some delays on parts. They gave me the "go" to go ahead and do some surgery on it and I found that the set screw on one of the gears was missing so eventually the gear just started spinning on the shaft rather than turning the burr. I installed a new set screw and easily got it functional again.

The magnetic collection cup is quite nice and stays in place with no issues. With a few RDT spritzes on the beans I haven't had any static issues and no problems with the grinds missing the cup. It also has a nice "cover" that magnetically attaches over the top that gives it a more finished look when not in use.

I mentioned it is not a big grinder; I've found that about 25 grams is about the maximum dose you can pour in at once with the finger guard removed. The collection cup would probably hold about 30 grams of ground coffee but it would likely be right to the top.

Overall, I really like it for what it delivers in the cup and it's small unobtrusive form factor (with the exception of the power supply). I do have a few minor dislikes; the high-pitched noise level and it would be nice if it was a bit faster but those are simply looking for something to complain over... Build quality is excellent, using metal (brass) 1:1 ratio gears and aluminum body and innards. My only concern with the build quality is the switch doesn't feel very durable but it would be an easily-replaceable item in the future. And kudos to Option-O for their first rate customer service so far!

Very happy with the purchase so far...

Sorry for not posting these thoughts sooner, but I was hoping to be able to share pictures and maybe a video along with my comments! I'll try to make some time this week to unpack it again for a photo shoot!

Josh

LUPER

#20: Post by LUPER »

Josh, thank you for sharing your first experiences and impressions of the new grinder.