Lab Sweet burr alignment

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
maxmaut

#1: Post by maxmaut »

Got a factory brand new 807 LS. No chirp at 0. Currently coffees are coming out quite bitter. I'm somewhat sure it's not the grinder (I've just changed water, beans, etc) but I now have an itch to get inside and align it. Should there be chirp at 0?

rajbangsa

#2: Post by rajbangsa »

Should there be chirp at 0?
Not from the factory setting

If you want to, you can recalibrate (re-zeroing) the dial adjustment
Marmot wrote:In this german forum I posted a step by step instruction on calibrating an 807LS. You need a 3mm hex screw to loosen the fix screw on the dial. I would first open the grinder and clean everything. You can then slowly turn the dial finer until you hear the burrs chirping.

https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/ditt ... 01/page-13
Ditting 807 Lab Sweet user experience

mreloc
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mreloc »

maxmaut wrote:Got a factory brand new 807 LS. No chirp at 0. Currently coffees are coming out quite bitter. I'm somewhat sure it's not the grinder (I've just changed water, beans, etc) but I now have an itch to get inside and align it. Should there be chirp at 0?
Just to avoid continued confusion from terminology- you are not necessarily experiencing mis alignment, but as pointed out below, you have an opportunity to recalibrate your 0 so that the burrs get closer together at that point on the dial and chirp.

Ii is possible to still need alignment but that is a much more involved process requiring markers, shims, and probably a tool that will let you torque the screws that hold the burrs to spec.