La Marzocco Swift Mini with Etzinger grind mechanism - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
killerloop

#41: Post by killerloop »

Interesting concept indeed! Any idea on the ballpark RRP for the LM Swift Mini?

Looking forward to the review :mrgreen:

mb01400

#42: Post by mb01400 »

hi, any updates on swift mini?
how is the consistency of extractions with a naked portafilter?
curious if this grinder is living up to its promise?
thank you

HB
Admin

#43: Post by HB »

Whoops. :oops: Sorry for the delay in responding mb01400! I've added closing comments in the La Marzocco Swift Mini Review. Dave (cannonfodder) has taken over and will be posting his thoughts next.
Dan Kehn

ira
Team HB

#44: Post by ira »

I do have one question about the final results. On the days when the Monolith won by a significant amount was the Flat better or the Swift worse?

Ira

HB
Admin

#45: Post by HB »

The Monolith was better; I'll clarify that in the writeup.
Dan Kehn

ira
Team HB

#46: Post by ira »

Or maybe that was the wrong question. If the Swift was so consistent, why was the Monolith so much better on two days or why was the Monolith so inconsistent? What about a test comparing two Monolith Flats over a month using the same protocol? Seems like that result raises more questions than it answered.

Ira

HB
Admin

#47: Post by HB »

I don't want to over-emphasize the difference; all espressos from both grinders fit in the good to very good range. If we really want to trace it to a cause, the difference appearing later in the week would be a good one to pin it on (i.e., as the coffee aged, the difference that the Monolith could exploit faded). But that's speculation on my part.

Of course, there's another possibility: I'm an average to below-average taster. That would not hurt my ego, since this site is called HOME-BARISTA.COM for a reason. :lol: But even that I doubt in this case, since it doesn't take much taste ability to tell the difference between good and very good in XYZ -- if they're served side-by-side. For the longer version of this same point, see Peter Giuliano's comment in SCAA Sensory Skills [Psych] Test.
Dan Kehn

ConFlatExp

#48: Post by ConFlatExp »

so when will this be available in US?

mike01

#49: Post by mike01 »

It appears the height of this grinder is 18-1/2 inches, which is too tall to fit under standard cabinets. This seems to be a major miss on the part of la Marzocco. If this is being targeted towards home users, why wouldn't they have found a way to make it an inch shorter?

tglodjo

#50: Post by tglodjo »

ConFlatExp wrote:so when will this be available in US?
Based on my calls to a couple of distributors, factories resumed production in April/May and the hope is that they'll be on sale in the US by late summer (July/August).