La Marzocco Swift Mini with Etzinger grind mechanism - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tglodjo

#31: Post by tglodjo »

ira wrote:This grinder is not aimed at many of us. It is intended for those who drink espresso, but aren't on the journey of experimentation.
To be fair, though, that's exactly who the LMLM is designed for. Some of us try to mod it for that journey of experimentation, but those who are purely for the journey don't typically get the LM. Those of us who do get the LM choose to compromise experimentation for aesthetics/build/quality/service. At least that's how I ended up with one on my counter.

ira
Team HB

#32: Post by ira »

I was trying to not exclude you and others like you, but sometimes my grasp of the English language escapes me. I know that are people who are here for the coffee and not for the quest to ride the wave of technology. I'd guess that grinder might be great for a significant number of members, me included even though I'm seriously attracted to the technology.

Ira

boldstep

#33: Post by boldstep »

Dan - when you make the taste comparison between the mythos and the la Marzocco, will you please try something other than fruity, light roasted blends? Maybe some northern Italian, dark chocolate or caramel tasting blends? I think it would add to the comparison and review. Thank you

HB
Admin

#34: Post by HB »

Sure will! Group taste tests are tricky, though. If we choose an "easy" chocolatey espresso blend, it's more likely to end in a tie. We pick something fruity, the results may reflect personal preference. Last time we split the difference with Hologram.
Dan Kehn

sluflyer06

#35: Post by sluflyer06 »

So I've been keeping up with the review, can't help but notice all the shots with spouted portafilters, I've noticed there's no discussion on how well the shots appear to be distributed and evenly extracting?? How do they look out of a bottomless? Are they what we'd expect to see from a well prepared puck?

Now I realize the taste was a draw between peak and swift so that might answer my question but still I think it's a topic well worth exploring in the review as shot prep is always a recurring topic on the forum.

boldstep

#36: Post by boldstep »

I thought you were going to comparing the Nuova Simonelli Mythos to the Swift, not the Peak? Regardless, any taste comparisons against the Mythos?

HB
Admin

#37: Post by HB »

sluflyer06 wrote:So I've been keeping up with the review, can't help but notice all the shots with spouted portafilters, I've noticed there's no discussion on how well the shots appear to be distributed and evenly extracting??
At home, I use bottomless portafilters exclusively. Admittedly, I didn't think to report on extraction appearance since it's been a non-issue. But I'll add that to my list of things to confirm are A-OK before the Swift Mini gets shipped to the next reviewer.
boldstep wrote:I thought you were going to comparing the Nuova Simonelli Mythos to the Swift, not the Peak? Regardless, any taste comparisons against the Mythos?
That was originally what we discussed, but since they had the Peak sitting one bar over, I thought it might offer the Swift Mini a bigger challenge (75mm vs. 80mm flat burrs). So much for that theory. :lol:
Dan Kehn

sluflyer06

#38: Post by sluflyer06 »

HB wrote:At home, I use bottomless portafilters exclusively. Admittedly, I didn't think to report on extraction appearance since it's been a non-issue. But I'll add that to my list of things to confirm are A-OK before the Swift Mini gets shipped to the next reviewer.
Judging by the blind test its seems ok, just seemed like it was mentioning since I would think quite a few people will wonder how effective it is since we're all typically a little skeptical of automatic stuff.

ConFlatExp

#39: Post by ConFlatExp »

saw it in action today at the los angeles coffee festival, its a neat piece of machine.

Frenchman

#40: Post by Frenchman »

Looking forward to reading the review. As a single doser for ten years and someone with four roasts on my counter right now, this may not be ideal, but it's great to see. If only someone made a second skin for a Niche that matched the LMLM (or anything, really!) better...
LMWDP #712