La Marzocco Swan grinder (now not) released

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

This grinder was teased at the same time as the Pico.

It has been in development for years and has finally been released, at least in Oz.

83mm flat burrs; grind on demand.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

exidrion

#2: Post by exidrion »

That's amazingly clean hahaha. I hope that trickles down to other grinders. I know the Ode does a similar thing.

Earthy

#3: Post by Earthy »

Wow that is worlds apart from the Pico. You couldn't tell it was from the same company. That is something worth badging as a marzocco.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by buckersss »

If there is a wiring malfunction and you are holding the portafilter when grinding you can get a nice shock and forgo the caffeine that day!

In all seriousness that just seems like a recipe for incompatibilities.

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by StoicDude »

Earthy wrote:Wow that is worlds apart from the Pico. You couldn't tell it was from the same company. That is something worth badging as a marzocco.
Really?! I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the Pico and this grinder look pretty alike to me.

It's not my cup of tea, but LaMarzocco does have some great design ideas, so this thing might age way better than it looks now.

Earthy

#6: Post by Earthy »

StoicDude wrote: It's not my cup of tea, but LaMarzocco does have some great design ideas, so this thing might age way better than it looks now.
I agree that i wouldn't want either on my counter. I also agree that they look alike in their angular way, but one looks like it was found at an estate sale from a 70s basement and the other is exquisitely polished and modern.

bostonbuzz

#7: Post by bostonbuzz »

It really looks like a scale is integrated into the metal base, but based on some older videos and the "5.5" and "10" doses in the video it appears to be burr rotation based.

And the burrs are 83mm conical in the older videos where they say the outer burr turns, just like their smaller grinder. Wonder if that was a slip up by the presenter.
LMWDP #353

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

bostonbuzz wrote:And the burrs are 83mm conical in the older videos where they say the outer burr turns, just like their smaller grinder. Wonder if that was a slip up by the presenter.
I had heard a conical before as well. It looks like a conical burr grinder ...

It is also a bit unusual that the Aristi short video seems to be the only mention of the grinder at the moment. I even checked to make sure YouTube wasn't serving me an old video. The video is geo-tagged Florence, FWIW.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Milligan »

I like it. I think it and the pico look similar but the Swan is far better looking IMO. Any word on pricing? Free Mini with purchase of a Swan? :P

LineaMurphy

#10: Post by LineaMurphy »

Is it time or weight based grinding?