La Marzocco Pico - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jeff
Team HB

#91: Post by Jeff »

I'd agree that "It's a decent deal if purchased with Micra/Mini" when you apply the discount against its price and get a reasonable grinder for a couple hundred dollars net.

I can confidently say from first-hand experience that a Niche Zero is not comparable to titan-class grinders in the cup, even those of the 2010 era and with medium-dark espresso-intended blends.

In the context of a Sette-priced grinder, I think it has some advantages both on the counter and probably in the cup. At $1,000?

another_jim
Team HB

#92: Post by another_jim »

Jeff wrote:I can confidently say from first-hand experience that a Niche Zero is not comparable to titan-class grinders in the cup, even those of the 2010 era and with medium-dark espresso-intended blends.
I confidently say the opposite, having done side by side blind shots with the Compak K10 and the Niche over several months, as you can read in my review.

Presumably your point is not utterly OT because I tested the Pico against the Niche. If the Niche is a second rate grinder, then so is the Pico.
Jim Schulman

FiddleRoaster

#93: Post by FiddleRoaster »

Useful. But really vague and repeats what has already been said.

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#94: Post by StoicDude »

I'm kind of lost.

What are you looking for that hasn't been addressed?

Unless you are EXPECTING something to be different, maybe it is what it is.

Jake_G
Team HB

#95: Post by Jake_G »

FiddleRoaster wrote:Useful. But really vague and repeats what has already been said.
I have the Pico on the bench now, and can compare to 98mm SSP HU burrs in my Lever Craft Ultra or 64mm SSP MP burrs in my Super Jolly.

Is there something you're looking for in particular?

The panels on my review unit are painted steel (magnetic) with tasteful plastic trim and hopper mounting system. There is a removable plastic catch pan that fits a an Acaia Lunar which rests in polished stainless steel rails beneath the grind mechanism. The matte black looks fantastic next to the Micra.

So far I've pulled exactly one shot on it. I removed the lower burr carrier, cleaned it all up, reset zero, set the grind size to 6 and dropped a 17g dose into it. I got 14.7g out, so retention is genuine concern for single dose grinding, but it really is pretty good for an on-demand grinder, which is what it is designed to be.

The resulting shot was great. Nicely balanced with slightly more acidity than the same coffee pulled on the Ultra moments before.

Here's a shot of the shot:
Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

*sigh*

#96: Post by *sigh* »

I have a Pico coming, though it's currently on back order. I only bought it because of the deal with the Micra and since it was effectively getting a Pico at a severe discount it was worth the plunge. My main grinder is a Monolith Flat (pre Shuriken) but figured it would either A) be a decent grinder for when family is in town so I'm making several coffees in relative short order, or B) a decent grinder to giveaway with the BDB I am replacing.

Happy to share some thoughts when it eventually arrives.

gsaleh

#97: Post by gsaleh »

I'm currently deciding whether to go for this using the 15% discount code with my Micra purchase here in the UK. The problem is I already have a Eureka Oro XL. How would you compare the two grinders? Worth a shot?

I do like the quieter motor and how clean it keeps the counter. It seems to be a great workflow machine.

Frankrock9

#98: Post by Frankrock9 »

Just noticed that the Pico can connect to the LM app and that there was an update. Is this new news, or have I just been living in the dark all this time? Maybe GBW will come with possible pairing with the perfectly sized Acaia Lunar scale? 8)

JavaRanger
Supporter

#99: Post by JavaRanger replying to Frankrock9 »

I'm wondering the same thing !!!