La Marzocco Pico - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Frenchman

#41: Post by Frenchman »

The Pico is a grinder that's easy to align :D .

Source: lamarzoccohome
LMWDP #712

mmg

#42: Post by mmg »

It would have been such a slam dunk to make it available in the same colors as the micra/mini. This just feels like an afterthought.

CSME9

#43: Post by CSME9 replying to mmg »

Per LM website, black and white grinder colors is what is avail for ordering, similar to Niche.....yup they missed the mark.

Frenchman

#44: Post by Frenchman »

mmg wrote:It would have been such a slam dunk to make it available in the same colors as the micra/mini.
It would have! This may be coming, but that's not the same as doing it from day one, where it would have been just so perfect.
LMWDP #712

DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by DoubleR »

While this would not be my preferred grinder due to multiple reasons, I've noticed in other forums/platforms a certain disdain for this grinder simply because it has conical burrs.

I've observed a perception among some that large flat burrs or favoring modern light roasts somehow equate to a more sophisticated coffee enthusiast. There are conical burr grinders that arguably offer better shots and versatility than many flat burr grinders. The notion that conical grinders are solely for the less discerning coffee drinker is puzzling to me.
LMWDP #755

maccompatible

#46: Post by maccompatible »

DoubleR wrote:While this would not be my preferred grinder due to multiple reasons, I've noticed in other forums/platforms a certain disdain for this grinder simply because it has conical burrs.

I've observed a perception among some that large flat burrs or favoring modern light roasts somehow equate to a more sophisticated coffee enthusiast. There are conical burr grinders that arguably offer better shits and versatility than many flat burr grinders. The notion that conical grinders are solely for the less discerning coffee drinker is puzzling to me.
I'm assuming you meant "shots," but either way I agree. :mrgreen:
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

luca
Team HB

#47: Post by luca »

I guess we know nothing about the characteristics of the burr set of this grinder and the types of coffee it will produce, but we can assume that it will probably be designed to work with the sort of mainstream coffee roasts that one would expect to be fed to LM machines. It also seems like this is a size of burrs for which a variety of aftermarket options do not yet exist. So for prospective buyers, I guess you'd have to be pretty willing to totally accept whatever LM's view of a good espresso grinder is as opposed to buying a 64mm flat burr grinder, which now gives you the ability to try an ever-increasing, wide variety of different burrs without needing to sell the whole grinder and buy a new one.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes
★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#48: Post by Jeff »

DoubleR wrote:I've noticed in other forums/platforms a certain disdain for this grinder simply because it has conical burrs.
I would take that a step farther and say that it has tiny, unproven conical burrs.

Grinders with small, conical burrs can be very good. I enjoy my Option-O Lagom Mini (48 mm Moonshine) quite a bit. However, it was $428 delivered, not $1,000. It holds its own on my counter. I enjoyed the espresso it produced with coffees like George Howell's Alchemy and B&W The Natural with the Micra. Dial in was nearly unneeded with that combo - grind beans somewhere roughly "right", pull 1:2, get good espresso out.

Grinders with small, conical burrs can be also be good for pulling "sh**" as the previous typo inadvertently discussed. Put the Tre Spade burrs in a La Marzocco case and it is still a Lelit Fred (or any of the dozen or so work-alikes) that you get in the cup. At least the Fred is stepless!

There are also many fans of conical grinders out there, including a large number that have selected or returned to grinders such as the Versalab, Key, and Monoliths.

BKH

#49: Post by BKH »

This grinder at the current price only makes sense in the discounted bundle with the Micra. It is attractive to people who are buying their first espresso machine or upgrading from something very introductory. It brings the price of the package closer to alignment with other dual boiler plus grinder options. It looks nice together (although I also would expect more colors) and people get LM quality fwiw. I can't see many people buying this grinder at full price with all the other options out there.

luca
Team HB

#50: Post by luca »

Ahead of any of us having tried the grinder, I wonder if a way of looking at this is like the niche zero. That grinder has legions of fans, it produces coffee of a particular style, people think it's good at some things and not so good at others, and if you buy it, you are really committed to its burr set - you don't really have options.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes