La Marzocco Pico problem after cleaning

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mvalbano
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Mvalbano »

Hi Everyone,

Just cleaned the Pico for the 1st time and it is not grinding after correctly reassembling the burrs. I get the following error in the app but do not know what it means it says "Close the Bell" and can't find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I'm somewhat mystified about the app. AFAIK, the Pico is not an on-line device. If the app is some kind of trouble shooting guide, it may be suggesting that you should check the interlock and lens closure on the hopper.
Jim Schulman

Mvalbano (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Mvalbano (original poster) »

Just resolved my own issue. I had to continue to turn the the grind adjustment dial another full rotation. Also, the Pico is connected, I didn't think it was at first also but about 6 weeks ago there was an update to the app that included it. You can just do basic things like turn the light on and off and set your grind time. It makes me wonder if the new gbw scale will be used with it soon.

Thanks

Mike

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Thanks for the update on the connection. The review models we got had no hint that this was a feature.
Jim Schulman

Myrr

#5: Post by Myrr »

Thanks for the tip on getting it connected - didn't even think to add to the app.

Of course now it's hung up on a fw update.

My real issue is the Pico has started making hamster wheel type noises. When dropping the burrs out, I can spin them around in the housing and there is an intermttent rubbing as I turn it... definitely the cause. Not sure what to do. Cleaned it up per the instructions, no change.

Called in...La Marzocco seems to be out today. Machine is still useable, but it's not a great sound.

JoeSlabo

#6: Post by JoeSlabo replying to Myrr »

Any response from LM?

Myrr

#7: Post by Myrr »

Yes, Thursday they responded back - I sent a video over for them to take a look at, and today I was told that a tech will be sent out. Third party, and I haven't heard from them yet. Fingers crossed this doesn't take too long to resolve! Until then I haven't been using the grinder and that also means no Micra either :(

Really hoping it can be repaired and/or replaced - really been enjoying the grinder otherwise and only saw a ~2 click variance between new beans and the bottom of the bag at the end of the week.... and same with the timed grind settings. Hopefully I have an update soon.

Myrr

#8: Post by Myrr »

Just wanted to provide an update - I was able to track down and resolve the problem prior to my service appointment. The culprit turned out to be 0020 F.2.083 SILICONE COLLAR (from https://lamarzoccousa.com/wp-content/up ... atalog.pdf) - basically, the collar must've been sitting too low and rubbing against the outer burr. After tinkering around a bit, removing the collar and reinstalling the hopper to test... the noise went away instantly. I reseated the collar afterwards - the noise is gone. Not sure how it wound up being seated low enough to contact the burr set, the design should prevent it. I don't see any obvious damage to the collar but it looks like an item that will get replaced at some point regardless. Either way, the issue is resolved and the Pico is all dialed in. Back to making tasty shots...

haikos

#9: Post by haikos »

Thanks for updating the forum, it makes these types of posts completely relevant and helpful for the next person who encounters this.

Primacog

#10: Post by Primacog »

I have a question for owners of the pico. Can the burrs be removed from the grinder for cleaning very easily by just twisting the dial color off and pulling the burrs out like the etzinger etzmax?
LMWDP #729