La Marzocco has a patent about belt driven grinder like Baratza Sette

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
indend007

#1: Post by indend007 »

I found LM's patent about new grinding system. It looks so similar with Baratza Sette, low retention and good at single dose grinding. It also has a conical burr set which belt driven but I don't know if this patent will be made as real product.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

indend007 wrote:I found LM's patent about new grinding system.
I assume you refer to US Patent 20160192809, Coffee grinding machine? While I am clearly not a lawyer, claims 11 and 18 appear relevant:
La Marzocco S.R.L. wrote:11. A coffee grinding machine comprising:
  • a first burr and a second burr, wherein at least one of the first and second burrs is rotatable about an axis of rotation, wherein the burrs are mutually cooperating to grind coffee;

a motor which rotates at least one of the burrs with respect to the other one, wherein the axis of rotation of the motor does not coincide with the axis of rotation of the burrs so that the coffee which is ground by the burrs is directed to an output of a conveyor cone for use thereof;
18. A machine according to claim 11, wherein the axis of rotation of the motor is parallel to the axis of rotation of the grinders, and wherein rotational motion of the motor is transmitted to one of the burrs via a transmission member.
Dan Kehn

indend007 (original poster)

#3: Post by indend007 (original poster) »

HB wrote:I assume you refer to US Patent 20160192809, Coffee grinding machine?
Yeh, but you can't access a picture in US patent. To find a picture, check this link https://www.google.com/patents/CN105491925A

caldwa

#4: Post by caldwa »

Could this be related to the old, rumored La Marzocco Prototype Grinder?

zimberto

#5: Post by zimberto »

Isn't "Chinese patent" an oxymoron?

Richard

#6: Post by Richard »

indend007 wrote:Yeh, but you can't access a picture in US patent.
Certainly you can access images in U.S. patents. Go to the USPTO, http://patft.uspto.gov/ and use search tools to locate a particular patent. A search initially displays a text-only copy of the patent. Near the top of the page are a series of buttons, one labeled IMAGES. Click it and you are then viewing page images.
-- Richard

chappcc

#7: Post by chappcc »

The complete claim 11:
11.A coffee grinding machine comprising:

a first burr and a second burr, wherein at least one of the first and second burrs is rotatable about an axis of rotation, wherein the burrs are mutually cooperating to grind coffee;

a motor which rotates at least one of the burrs with respect to the other one, wherein the axis of rotation of the motor does not coincide with the axis of rotation of the burrs so that the coffee which is ground by the burrs is directed to an output of a conveyor cone for use thereof;

anti-static means for reducing or eliminating static charge of the ground coffee, wherein the anti-static means comprises an annular member positioned downstream of the burrs and comprising discrete anti-static elements.
could potentially cover a motorized HG-1 with its anti-static wiper? I am not a patent attorney - just an observation.

indend007 (original poster)

#8: Post by indend007 (original poster) »

Richard wrote:Certainly you can access images in U.S. patents. Go to the USPTO, http://patft.uspto.gov/ and use search tools to locate a particular patent. A search initially displays a text-only copy of the patent. Near the top of the page are a series of buttons, one labeled IMAGES. Click it and you are then viewing page images.
So kind. Thanks.