La Frankenbali (La Cimbali Max w/ SSP MPs) - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bgnome (original poster)

#21: Post by bgnome (original poster) »

I have propped the grinder up on some books to give a more extreme tilt and have noticed bean shards accumulating above the burr:

I will print another collar to try and take up this space in the upper burr carrier, outside of the funnel shaft and see if that helps.

There is also significant accumulation in the lower chamber as well. I suspect that cutting the wings off the sweepers has exaggerated this issue.

Anyone have any ideas on how to address this? Should I leave it and expect a bit of exchange when grinding?

tompoland

#22: Post by tompoland »

Me, I would flush it through with 2 grams of beans, catch them and pop them in your knock box for the garden. Every grinder has some retention. Every one. So a couple of grams is probably best practice for OCDC people like me anyhow.
A little obsessed.

bgnome (original poster)

#23: Post by bgnome (original poster) »

A small purge is something I have considered. I will keep it in mind.

With the extra collar, there is no longer a gap above the burr.

Jonk

#24: Post by Jonk »

Let us know if the (already problematic) feed is affected because the ring burr got partially obstructed.

Jake_G
Team HB

#25: Post by Jake_G »

bgnome wrote:Anyone have any ideas on how to address this? Should I leave it and expect a bit of exchange when grinding?
Weber addresses this type of retention with little sticky wipers that attach to the sweepers. They bend and have no issues keeping the grind chamber clean while allowing for the bird spacing to change as you dial in the grind.

I'd cut some flaps out of card or shim stock and try sticking them to the sweepers with CA glue after giving them a good cleaning with acetone.

Also, I would consider adding some flutes to your spacer above the ring burr so that you have the full tooth profile exposed, but still eliminate the ledge.

Cheers!

-Jake
LMWDP #704