La Frankenbali (La Cimbali Max w/ SSP MPs) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MemPast

#11: Post by MemPast »

Thanks for posting the funnel pic. It does look tight for the beans to get in. Well done!

Please, share your findings after you dial it in. If your SSP MP burrs are new, then you might need to season them first. If they are already seasoned, I think you should be able to dial it in soon.

tompoland

#12: Post by tompoland »

Also very interested in an update!
A little obsessed.

Advertisement
bgnome (original poster)

#13: Post by bgnome (original poster) »

I was initially having some trouble dialing in, but it turned out that I had not tightened the lock but enough.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to decrease retention and maybe coming up with a better solution for the chute.

MemPast

#14: Post by MemPast »

Nice!

I pulled my flat burrs out and measured ~63.8 mm outer diameter. Did you measure the SSP outer diameter by any chance? Interested to know if I should get them instead of the Cimbali's burrs (Which proved difficult to get in the first place).

bgnome (original poster)

#15: Post by bgnome (original poster) »

I don't think I had an outer measurement, but I'm sure that would not be difficult to find.

I believe I did have to take the dremel to the lower burr carrier. Since it was cast brass, it was not perfectly machined, so I had to clean up some edges and corners by the sweepers. One of the sweepers was also broken so I evened the rest to help lower vibrations. I had no problems after that with fitting the SSPs. I also had to ground down the mounting screws a bit to keep them from rubbing the bottom of the chamber.

MemPast

#16: Post by MemPast »

Oh. I would not want to take any material from the sweeper, since the Cimbali burrs fits perfectly, and I think that helps with the alignment (I checked alignment and it is excellent).
Then I think I should contend with what I have or try again to find an original burr to put in.

bgnome (original poster)

#17: Post by bgnome (original poster) »

Right, I recall that the SSP did not sit completely flat due to the curve at the base at one of the sweepers. It was just a matter of a little filing, but if you feel that you can get suitable stock replacements, that would be perfectly fine. I just believe that the DRM-style burrs are very difficult to source at this point and it is nice to have other options. (The current replacement part looks to be the standard Cimbali Junior burrs).

Advertisement
MemPast

#18: Post by MemPast »

Yes, the stock burrs are not available in the US. DRM burrs are 68mm, not 64mm as Cimbali's. I have the burrs from regular Cimbali, but they keep me wanting the original.

This is the burr I found from a German site:
https://www.espressomachinendoctor.de/ ... 13561.html
They will not ship to US, unfortunately.

tompoland

#19: Post by tompoland »

MemPast wrote:Yes, the stock burrs are not available in the US. DRM burrs are 68mm, not 64mm as Cimbali's. I have the burrs from regular Cimbali, but they keep me wanting the original.
I always thought the Max had DRM burrs. Or perhaps it does have DRM burrs, just 64mm as opposed to the 68mm DRM burrs found in the Hedone Honne for example?
A little obsessed.

bgnome (original poster)

#20: Post by bgnome (original poster) »

The burrs in the Cimbali Max are not marked, but the grind adjustment gear is stamped "DRM." I don't think there is another grinder that uses the 64mm size, (besides the Cimbali Hybrid of course).