La Cimbali Max Grinder - a first look - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#81: Post by cannonfodder »

Marshall wrote:If the Ghost of Christmas Future had told me five years ago that I would some day have a $795 coffee grinder in my house, I would have begged him to have me committed first. Now, of course, it makes perfect sense. :D
I understand that. It is strange how our tastes evolve over time. What was once considered wonderful is now a sink shot. My epiphany was the day I realized what I drink every day I would have considered a god, or gosh shot just a few years ago. Now the god shot is few and far between but the sink shot is next to non existent.

I would have never thought I would install a dedicated espresso bar, or spend my spare time working on a coffee web page. Let alone spend thousands on hardware to make a tiny 2 ounce drink a few times a day. O how far down that rabbit hole I have fallen.
Dave Stephens

zin1953

#82: Post by zin1953 »

cannonfodder wrote:O how far down that rabbit hole I have fallen.
. . . and can't get up! :wink:
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#83: Post by cannonfodder »

Reviving an old thread. Since you brought it back to top of page I may as well add a useful contribution. I did end up selling my Jr, now I run two Max grinders.

The Max uses a rubber covered rocker switch. The grinder is designed to be turned on and left on. The doser fills up and the doser switch shuts off the grinder when it is full. Not very ideal for home use. The toggle is somewhat clunky to use. The Cimbali JR switch fits the same cutout. I replaced my switches with the JR's push button. It makes hitting it while thwacking the doser much easier. You never have to take your hand off the doser lever, just hit it with your thumb on the backstroke. I still love the grinder.
Dave Stephens

Lockman

#84: Post by Lockman »

cannonfodder wrote:The Cimbali JR switch fits the same cutout. I replaced my switches with the JR's push button.
Good to know! :)

OMG! This is a great grinder. Max got looks, form and function. I am surprised at how quiet he is and I really like how the hopper feeds. All this is from a novice so don't take me as a final say so. I have been around a lot of tools though and this one looks built to last!
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

HB
Admin

#85: Post by HB »

Split follow-on discussion to Converting Cimbali Max Grinder to doserless?
Dan Kehn