KRUVE sifter - First impressions - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by ira (original poster) »

Yes, I believe an improvement. I will test more when I'm not the only one here. I will also do the same thing with the Bunzilla and Early Lido II.

It's really easy to use and as long as you don't mind giving up those few grams of fines, it hardly adds to the workflow. Then again, after a month or two I might just get tired of it. It passed the WAF test here, it's allowed to stay out, just not sure where yet.

Ira

jbviau
Supporter ★

#12: Post by jbviau »

ira wrote:I wish I had an air nozzle hanging outside the back door to blow off the chaff, but I'll probably end up using one of the brushes I use to clean the grinders.
Maybe you could try using one of those Giotto Rocket Air blowers?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
Boldjava

#13: Post by Boldjava »

ira wrote:Yes, I believe an improvement. I will test more when I'm not the only one here. . .Ira
I will be doing the same thing when 7 others are at the table. Blind cup two coffees and have opinions/thoughts of the cups gathered. Then we will gather in the kitchen for some prep study/use.
-----
LMWDP #339

Eastsideloco

#14: Post by Eastsideloco »

The eagle has landed:

Very nice retail packaging and build quality. Having played around with some commercial/industrial sieves for coffee, I am also impressed with the relative value of a Kruve kit, especially as you add sieves.

HB
Admin

#15: Post by HB »

DoYouEvenSift wrote:Marek here from KRUVE. I'd like to share some rough unlisted videos with you. Once these and more are finished in a few days we will post them live in an update. Subscribe to our youtube channel to see them as they get posted.
Marek, please be aware of the site's rules on commercial posts and vendor participation in the forums. That said, we've been experimenting with allowing some innovator participation in the development phase of their products. Your product certainly fits that category. Since your development phase has already passed without you having the opportunity to introduce yourself, we'll ignore the commercial posts rule for a short bit.

I've seen so many Kickstarter projects spectacularly fail, I've come to expect it. Congratulations on making it from Kickstarter to production! :D
Dan Kehn

DoYouEvenSift

#16: Post by DoYouEvenSift »

Thank you Dan, a lot of hard work went into the development and delivery of the Sifter. It took longer than anticipated with delay after delay but we're all very happy to have the finished units being delivered to backers and customers.
One of the site admins made me aware of the forum rules. Apologies for not checking ahead of time before posting.
Regards
Marek

icantlactate

#17: Post by icantlactate »

After calibrating my grinder according to guidelines laid out in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RyNALl-_Qg), I noticed that my grind setting was WAY finer than I would ever use for a filter brew. The 1.1/10 setting on my bunnzilla produced the least amount of waste (~45%) and the most even split between fines and boulders (fines : boulders ratio of 1.2) when I selected for the 600-800 micron range.

Given that I almost always stay in the range of 3.0-5.0/10 for my filter brews, this seems a little strange. Why would I want to select for grounds that are WAY finer than what I typically brew with?

Ultimately what matters to me is if it improves my cup, which I have yet to determine. I am curious though if anyone else shares my experience.

Advertisement
gimpy

#18: Post by gimpy »

I was thinking about posting a similar thought (still may start another thread specific to my grinder). The Kruve sieves is showing me that I have been grinding waaaayy coarser than what is being recommended by Kruve and my grinder (Feldgrind). I am getting way too many fines for the suggested settings.

And, mizer (cheapskate?) that I am, I refuse to throw out up to 30 or 40% of my beans. :>[]

JojoS

#19: Post by JojoS »

You are not alone in having to grind finer than usual in calibrating the grinder. I also have static issues with fines clinging to the back side of both sieves. I suspect that this also leads to clogging up the sieves.

borisblank

#20: Post by borisblank »

I'm still firmly in the camp that some proportion of fines imparts a desirable aspect to the flavor profile I seek in coffee. Sieving may not be the panacea many argue it to be.

I think grinder "calibration" based on sieving is the wrong way to view this tool. Grind to taste, not to arbitrary particle size distribution - unless that distribution gives you the flavors you're looking for. I can see how sieving to a particular size distribution may improve consistency though.

So far my brews sifted to remove < 400nm fines and brewed with the remainder (~80% grind weight > 400nm) have all been underextracted, flatter than usual and with a bitter edge to them. I agree for sure that I will need to change my brew technique to compensate, but grinding finer will just produce, well, more fines. So...