Kruve coffee sifting for drip/pourover

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

This will be a dedicated thread for the Kruve sifter for non-espresso preparations. Some posts may be merged here later. For espresso focused grinder sifting, follow on here: KRUVE sifter - First impressions.

These topics straddle the line between belonging in Grinders versus belonging in Brewing. For now, we'll leave them here because that's where the conversation is occurring. But please note, there's plenty of previous threads in the Brewing sub-forum that discuss sieving as well.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

tv79

#2: Post by tv79 »

A few random thoughts after about a week of experimenting with the Kruve:

* A grind in the 400-800 micron range is way too fine for my Technivorm (the calibrated setting on my Vario was one macro setting away from espresso).

* 400-1000, on the other hand, produces a very nice cup. I only have the six sieve model at the moment, but I'd be curious to see how 400-900 compares.

* IMO the best thing about the Kruve is its ability to calibrate a quality grinder to a specified range. Once calibrated, a decent grinder should be fairly consistent, so I'm not convinced that sieving the small amounts of remaining boulders and fines would have a significant impact on the brew.

* No matter how many times I tap the sides of the container when I sieve, I always end up with fines along the rubber seal in the middle container. Doesn't seem like a lot, but may throw calibration readings off a bit.

* I've seen some complaints around changing out sieves. So far I haven't had any issues - as others have mentioned, turning the tray upside down as you're putting the new sieve in seems to help.

Overall I can say the Kruve's grinder calibration abilities alone have made it worth the purchase. I do wish I had the 12 sieve model so I could test the 900, but looks like Kruve will be making individual sieves available for purchase.

erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

Anyone have some more experience with the Kruve pourover-set (400 and 800 sieves)? I'd like to get more out of my V60 brews grinding with my Kinu M47. They are really good right now but as we all know here it's never good enough. Are they worth the 60 dollars?

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I started playing with mine more now, after watching it sit idle for many months. What I've started to do is use an 1100 screen on top and a 400 on the bottom. I toss the fines out, and any grinds remaining in the tray of the 1100 get ran thru the grinder again at a finer setting.

This is quick enough to get nearly 98% of all the grounds a more ideal range for me. The main issue is I have to be careful with the trays and dumping the coffee properly. I've spilled them twice already which really takes the pleasure out of using them. One batch made on the Ratio ended with a messy overflowing basket since the water didn't draw down well. I'd recommend if one wants to run sifted grinds thru an automatic device that they pour the entire contents of each tray into a larger receptacle and shake it up, redistributing the different particle sizes randomly before trying to brew with them.

I just received the Kone brewer this morning and from here on out for a while, many of my home brews will be using that setup, with the fines served out. I'll report back on performance.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

isabayo

#5: Post by isabayo »

erik82 wrote:Anyone have some more experience with the Kruve pourover-set (400 and 800 sieves)? I'd like to get more out of my V60 brews grinding with my Kinu M47. They are really good right now but as we all know here it's never good enough. Are they worth the 60 dollars?
I thought the 400 and 800 sieves were too fine for my liking using the v60 or wave brewers. My kruve has been collecting dust but I'll start experimenting with different sieve combinations and report back

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

That's kind of what I expected from the 400-800 set. Thanks for the confirmation. I currently doubt if I still see a need to buy them after switching from a Kinu M47 (and sold my Eureka Olympus with Mythos burrs) to a LWW EG-1. My pourovers are so much better now with the EG-1. Maybe I'll try the six sieve set some day to do some testing because it's much more versatile.

namelessone

#7: Post by namelessone »

I ordered the 400-800 + 1200/1400/1600 set, and plan to use it mostly for calibration between different grinders. It could be useful to evaluate the grind distribution of your EG-1 vs the Kinu M47.

We could crowd source some data to see how various grinders perform in 400 vs 1200. @MWJB already started doing this with his grinders.

namelessone

#8: Post by namelessone »

I've done some tests to compare how grinders perform for drip. I used 10g ground coffee with the 400 and 1200 sieves, and then shook the Kruve side to side for 2 mins, with some taps in between. Brushed off the contents and weighted on to an empty container. I only have 0.1g scale, so these are not as accurate as could be maybe.

Calibrating the grinders so that both end up 1g of fines results in the following:

Baratza Vario (steel burrs) - setting 5D - 10% <400um, 9% >800um, 81% in the middle
Kinu M47 - setting 22 - 10% <400um, 25% >800um and 65% in the middle.

This means that Vario creates significantly less fines overall, and has an overall tighter distribution than the Kinu. I guess it's difference of 54mm flat burrs vs 47mm conical. I would be curious to see how EK43 does in comparison.

Mbb

#9: Post by Mbb »

Whats a kinu setting 22?

Surely you dont mean 2.2? Too small for espresso even.

4.x-5 is more like it.

renatoa

#10: Post by renatoa »

He specified "for drip", and the sieve choice should tell you the same. For espresso the sieves are 250 and 500.

Kinu setting has any relevance if zero is where burrs are barely touching, else has no meaning to compare.
His Kinu seems well aligned, I am using mine for drip at 2.4, and espresso is at 1.6
0.4-0.5 is way too low for espress, even turkish, that point is where the burrs start to turn freely without any contact.
As a reference, at one turn from the real zero, the distance between burrs is 0.2mm, thus grounds dimension should be in the same ballpark.

Why "Vario creates significantly less fines" if both end up 1g of fines, less than 10% ? :?
Was the coarser sieve used in test 800 or 1200 ?