Kopi Deva single-dose grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zan

#1: Post by zan »

A nice new grinder without grinder chamber

https://www.kopiconcepts.com/deva

64 mm. flat burrs
200 to 1.000 burr speed
brushless DC motor battery powered

similar ideas:

https://xenia.coffee/en/?s=mella&trp-form-language=en

https://mahlgut-manufaktur.de/en/coffee-grinder-molae/

cranberry

#2: Post by cranberry »

Looks promising and like a potential Lagom P64 killer, depending on how much it will cost once it's in production.

While the introductory price of 549 GBP is very tempting for such a promising grinder, it's still a bit too much money for me to put at risk. (Given how Kickstarter works.)

stavros

#3: Post by stavros »

Hallo guys, i am thinking to start my espresso journey with a flair 58.

My concern is about grinder. I would like to buy a good one and never think about grinders.

Lagom P64 is the most suitable grinder for my needs, single dosing, flat burrs, ease of use, low retention, nice workflow but with taxes it is too expensive.

So what would you think about kopi deva?

At least specs are close to lagom.

I dont worry so much about the taste as for battery stuff. Is this capable of working for life? What about a dysfunction on battery long term...
I dont know technical stuff about alignment or so.

But if all these work well its like a lagom with lower price.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

They claim the battery is replaceable, I'd ask the developer what the battery is to get an idea what it takes to replace it. It could just be something like a few 26650 sized lithium cells or an RC car battery which would mean you can just use off the shelf batteries, or it could be a custom which would be harder if that company tanks. Only the maker knows. But for a startup KS that's only needing to make 60 or so grinders to proceed, I'd assume it's not a custom battery.

Ira

malling

#5: Post by malling »

stavros wrote:Hallo guys, i am thinking to start my espresso journey with a flair 58.

My concern is about grinder. I would like to buy a good one and never think about grinders.

Lagom P64 is the most suitable grinder for my needs, single dosing, flat burrs, ease of use, low retention, nice workflow but with taxes it is too expensive.

So what would you think about kopi deva?

At least specs are close to lagom.

I dont worry so much about the taste as for battery stuff. Is this capable of working for life? What about a dysfunction on battery long term...
I dont know technical stuff about alignment or so.

But if all these work well its like a lagom with lower price.
They say December, but those dates are always overly optimistic, they have only made pre production units that needs improvement, have not found those partners necessary to manufacture the parts etc. With all that in mind I simply cannot see how they can manage that in a span of 6months, especially not in current climate.

I guess you want a grinder before we reach summer 2022.

stavros

#6: Post by stavros »

Yeah right i am on fire and definitely i want to pull the trigger for equipment!
I would be very happy with a niche too but it is not easy to find one...
I consider very much the chance to make a huge excess and buy a lagom.
At least i wont regret it in terms of everyday use.

Thanks for your answers... i didnt know about their production progress.

malling

#7: Post by malling »

Eureka should soon launch the Mignon (XL) SD grinder with 65mm burrs (It's Eureka so take that burr seize with a pinch of salt)

Of all those SD (not made by a major manufacturer) the Lagom P64 is certainly the easiest to get hold on. Niche sell one new batch regularly, but sell out quickly.

However there is still the G-Iota/Sole/df64 some regions seem to ship now (n. america, britain, china), but europe shipment is expected from next few weeks and forward. It's by far the cheapest option, however allot seem to mod it as it has it's fair share of shortcomings/they cut a noticeable amount of corners to get the price down there, it's no beauty queen or very Instagramable.

LObin

#8: Post by LObin »

malling wrote: It's by far the cheapest option, however allot seem to mod it as it has it's fair share of shortcomings/they cut a noticeable amount of corners to get the price down there, it's no beauty queen or very Instagramable.
Fair share of shortcomings?
They cut a noticeable amount of corners??

You'll find that most owners and early reviews tend to disagree with these statements.

It's not a flawless design, indeed. There isn't a flawless grinder out there anyways. Suits some and doesn't suit others.
LMWDP #592

malling

#9: Post by malling replying to LObin »

I would say that when a grinder has so much empty space as is the case with the G-Iota, the upper burr not supported entirely underneath, using Polycarbonate, not the best designed bellows, fit and finish, hard to get a precise grind setting read, chute design that clog, it's hard not to define it as not cutting corners and having short comings, in fact it's the very definition of it. You would not get it at that price if it were not cutting somewhere in materials and design... Most reviews state it as allot for the money, I didn't say it wasn't. I just point out that it's far from a perfect grinder, that you still get what you pay for. I have been just as harsh with the Ode, a grinder I own, a grinder that also cut a noticeable amount of corners, just very different ones.

Lastly a grinder is fundamentally a "dead" item meant for a specific use, it has no value besides that.

ethiopianbuffman

#10: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

This is probably going to be pushed out for Spring or Summer 2022 delivery. I really don't see a reason to back it now that they have met their goal. The grinder landscape will change by then and also there isn't "backer" special pricing, so really you aren't saving anything by tying up your money for 6-10 months.

I'll bet they'll even open up pre-orders in the winter and you can get in then.