Kopi Deva single-dose grinder - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Spivechild

#91: Post by Spivechild »

Interesting. I hope, I think?, that it's a favorable reading.

ira
Team HB

#92: Post by ira »

I assume from the post that it's not a good thing, but since we've been given no idea what that test indicator is indicating, it's really hard to say.

Spivechild

#93: Post by Spivechild »

I wonder how it compares to this measurement from their instragram account awhile back.

Otaibimn

#94: Post by Otaibimn »

Sorry Guys. It's in 0.01mm.

So +- 0.05mm :D
Unless you roast your own coffee, You still didn't reach 90% of the rabbit hole.

gobucks

#95: Post by gobucks »

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Deva with SSP lab sweets? I just ordered an indiegogo reserve unit and I was considering preordering the lab sweets to use in the grinder. From the (limited) amount I've seen online, they seem to be a middle ground between the HU and MP burrs, and I'm curious to know how they do at both espresso and filter.

Otaibimn

#96: Post by Otaibimn »

I tried them with the lab sweets.

Perfect for filter but not so much for pure espressos. Lattes were good though.

For filter you run the pump at maximum speed and for espresso extractions at much lower rpm (around 400-600rpm) or you gonna have an extremally heavy body that is unbearable.
Unless you roast your own coffee, You still didn't reach 90% of the rabbit hole.

gobucks

#97: Post by gobucks replying to Otaibimn »

So what didn't you like about the espresso with the lab sweets? I was under the impression that it produces high body and high sweetness, which seems like it would work well for espresso. Which burrs do you prefer for espresso?

Otaibimn

#98: Post by Otaibimn replying to gobucks »

I prefer the 64mm SSP HU for espresso or the original burrs for that matter.

Lab sweets creates so much body at 1200+ rpm that it literally destroys your taste buds. At 500-600 rpm it becomes bearable but barely for milk based drinks. Straights up espresso it was a no go.

Current Setup:
P100 with 98mm HU = Pure Espresso Delight
Niche = Milk Based Drinks.
Deva with Lab Sweets = Filter Coffee

gobucks

#99: Post by gobucks »

That is interesting. Have you seasoned them much? I have read that those burrs need an above average amount of seasoning. Which burrs do you think are the best all-rounders with the Deva? I know the MP burrs are a no go for espresso, so that's not an option. I do more espresso than anything else, but want to be able to do respectable pourover and cold brew (which my Niche doesn't really do well at all).

Otaibimn

#100: Post by Otaibimn replying to gobucks »

Hit about 10kg on the lab sweets and they got better and better but still that same thing of no go for espresso.

SSP HU are extremally good. Think of a middle ground between flats and conicals taste wise and far better than both and they are better than stock burrs for filter.

Stock burrs are decent for espresso and okish for filter (better than any conical for filter) and consider them all rounder.