Kopi Deva single-dose grinder - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Otaibimn

#81: Post by Otaibimn »

First impressions after using it for a couple of days:

Pros:

1- Workflow is decent (Far better than the DF64 that's for sure).

a- Calibrate and hold the setting the knob (If you don't tighten it, it will play and lose the setting during grind).

b- Weight your beans and RDT on the little shovel provided.

c- Run the deva and pour. Close the chute after or you gonna have projectiles coming your way.

d- I usually do 20g doses and it takes around 15-20 seconds to grind.

e- Turn the grinder off and on. You will see a large clump drop down.

f- Continue as before in your process.

2- There is NO EXCHANGE. Literally none. Retention is extremely minimal (0.1-0.2) and usually are fines clinging for dear life on the walls of the inner chamber.

3- It is one of the most silent grinders I have used. It is more silent than a niche and DF64 for sure.

4- Grind consistency is fantastic. I think it is due to the feeding mechanism where the beans are being fed by the speed of the motor and not with bean weight atop of each other.

5- Mazzer burrs are a win. The shot in espresso is your typical Italian type of shot. Perfect mix of clarity and body so that you can use it in both Espresso or Latte. Tried SSP HU on it and wasn't that good with Lattes (Espresso was perfect though). SSP Lab Sweet incoming

6- Cleaning and changing the burrs is a cakewalk.

7- Variable speed is a big win at the price point. High speed for espresso and low speed for pour overs.

8- The kopiconcepts team was fantastic in their support. Kudos to them.

Cons:

1- Don't expect high end level of cups (Levercraft, Lagoom). It's your typical 64mm flat.

2- Battery powered is a decent option to have but have no use for it at the moment. (I have been using the same charge though for 5 days of 3-4 cups a day and it is still showing 4 dots (which is full).

3- They had some QC issues as stated before but it seems they resolved them. A buddy of mine received his black unit perfect.
Unless you roast your own coffee, You still didn't reach 90% of the rabbit hole.

Spivechild

#82: Post by Spivechild »

Thank you for providing this first hand experience. This feedback sounds promising!

As for the locking screw, does it work as intended? I mean if you tighten with a good snug, does it stay put? Or does it eventually loosen from running the grinder, needing checked each time if the grind setting isn't changed.

Otaibimn

#83: Post by Otaibimn »

Snug as a bug.

I tortured the poor grinder with seasoning and was stable all the way through.
Unless you roast your own coffee, You still didn't reach 90% of the rabbit hole.

Spivechild

#84: Post by Spivechild »

Great. Enjoy breaking in the new grinder and please share any updates along the way. Cheers!

pearlmikejam

#85: Post by pearlmikejam »

Otaibimn wrote:

Cons:

1- Don't expect high end level of cups (Levercraft, Lagoom). It's your typical 64mm flat.
Thanks for posting! Related to the level of cups, is your opinion the same with the SSP burrs?

Also, are you referencing the Lagom P100 or P64? I was hoping for this to be comparable to the P64.

ira
Team HB

#86: Post by ira »

Having read all the info and looked at all the pictures, I would expect the Kopi to be the match of a P64 and possibly nicer to use, but that's with no actual experience of either.

cebseb

#87: Post by cebseb »

Is there any info out there for expected public release (stateside) and pricing? I would love to get my hands one, but my efforts at trying to track down a unit for sale have been not so fruitful.

malling

#88: Post by malling replying to cebseb »

They will start opening up on their site as soon as they cleared out enough of their Kickstarter and preorders. So it's going to be run in a similar fashion as Niche do it.

But probably not going to happen before late summer, early fall.

cebseb

#89: Post by cebseb replying to malling »

Gotcha. Ok! Thanks for the info!

Otaibimn

#90: Post by Otaibimn »

So my deva was going around to a couple of friends... one of them has a dial gauge and wanted to do a test on it... I will leave the video for ya: