Kopi Deva single-dose grinder - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#111: Post by LObin »

naz1511 wrote:I have! and I share the same sentiment as @otaibimn in that they are too 'heavy' in the body department and the amount of fines produced are too much at this stage of seasoning (2-3kg so far? I lost track). I'll do an experiment mixing up the burrs maybe to tame the fines production down.

I also used paper filter at the bottom of my portafilter, it helped a lot in fines mitigation, and actually, I liked it on some coffee. Ultimately, its still early, perhaps more seasoning is required, but I doubt it would a drastic change. It is what it is.

Disclaimer: Im using the traditional 1:2 ratio, sub 30s shot recipe to judge it. I havent extensively tried other recipe or different profile to judge, maybe it would taste objectively 'better' at lower dosages or shorter ratio?
That's on the Deva correct?
I'm just trying to assess if the issue of the beans not feeding through the burrs at espresso settings with the MP's and Brew burrs applies only to these and if the Cast burrs are actually working in the espresso range.

I would likely be using the HU anyways but I't be good to have other options.
LMWDP #592

LObin

#112: Post by LObin »

Anyone know when it will be possible to order from the Indiegogo platform again?
LMWDP #592

gobucks

#113: Post by gobucks »

A few weeks ago, their website had a "store" link with a few units available under what they called "indiegogo reserve", and I ordered one. There only seemed to be a few available though, I'm guessing they were units available due to an original backer cancelling. Keep an eye on the site, who knows, maybe they'll have some more cancellations and put the cancelled units on sale again.

Also, I'm super puzzled about the cast burrs. Like, if I knew nothing about a set of burrs, and you just told me that the burrs produced a lot of fines and a ton of body, I'd think that for sure you were talking about espresso burrs, and that it would be lousy for filter, but at least based on the reports here, the opposite is true. When y'all say "too much body, too many fines", are we talking substantially more than a conical like the Niche? It's just hard to imagine producing such an unusable result for espresso but still making great filter coffee.

malling

#114: Post by malling replying to gobucks »

What's intriguing is I have those burrs in another grinder and dos not have that issue these are certainly not heavy body as described here but do have more then MP but not more then HU.

ethiopianbuffman

#115: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

Cast burrs work fine. I would hot start for light roast beans to prevent stalling.

naz1511

#116: Post by naz1511 »

LObin wrote:That's on the Deva correct?
I'm just trying to assess if the issue of the beans not feeding through the burrs at espresso settings with the MP's and Brew burrs applies only to these and if the Cast burrs are actually working in the espresso range.

I would likely be using the HU anyways but I't be good to have other options.
Yes I have both the Deva and DF64, and by now I have tried SSPHU and Cast on both.

SSPHU would have problem on a df64 not feeding through at almost touching point of the burrs, whereas Deva doesnt have this issue even at 1200rpm vs 1400rpm stock of DF64. My gripe with SSPHU is that I couldnt grind fine enough for some really tough beans and I usually end up using turbo style shots for those.

The Cast burrs have broader 'useful' espresso range way before the touching point, and on both DF64 and the Deva, I could grind them fine enough to have my machine choked.

Hope that helps.

TLDR example at grind setting with burrs almost touching:
SSPHU shot : 18g:36g - 30 seconds
Cast shot: 18g in - choked lol

I'm unfamiliar of how an MP would slot in at these settings.

gobucks

#117: Post by gobucks »

LObin wrote:Anyone know when it will be possible to order from the Indiegogo platform again?
https://www.kopiconcepts.com/store/p/ko ... servenonuk

Looks like they are starting another run due for delivery in early 2023.

LObin

#118: Post by LObin replying to gobucks »

Thanks for this!

I was able to pre-order a anodized aluminum Kopi Deva with SSP HU.

Hopefully I can make a change for a black unit later on but both the black and white units as well as the no-charge Mazzer burrs were already sold out. I have a set of SSP HU in my DF64 at the moment so I didn't really need a 2nd set. Easy to resell though

Not sure when they opened up the pre-sales again but I've been checking my emails and visiting the Indiegogo website daily...
LMWDP #592

gobucks

#119: Post by gobucks replying to LObin »

Glad you were able to get in on it. Weird, it currently shows that you can get the SJ burrs in the anodized one. Could be worth emailing them and ask if you can downgrade to the standard burrs - it's hard to imagine they wouldn't have a single spare set that they could put in there. They have been pretty responsive so far.

LObin

#120: Post by LObin replying to gobucks »

The SJ burrs are still available for the for the UK delivery units only, it seems.
I'm in Canada. I contacted them. We'll see.
LMWDP #592