Kopi Deva single-dose grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
malling

#11: Post by malling »

ethiopianbuffman wrote:This is probably going to be pushed out for Spring or Summer 2022 delivery. I really don't see a reason to back it now that they have met their goal. The grinder landscape will change by then and also there isn't "backer" special pricing, so really you aren't saving anything by tying up your money for 6-10 months.

I'll bet they'll even open up pre-orders in the winter and you can get in then.
Yes your probably right, that it really doesn't make sense, you fund a grinder with no discount, your basically paying to get first in line and helping them out. Nice gesture... but there doesn't seem to be any financial benefit like most other Kickstarter campaigns.

That said it's not uncommon that resale prices tend to be overly optimistic, unless it's from a well established manufacturer. it's seen so many times before that it won't be possible to launch it at the expected price. so the £458 might increase over the next year, my guess is that we will end closer to £600 then the current Kickstarter price.

They also mentioned that there will be a mains powered version but won't be available to Kickstarters.

Jonk

#12: Post by Jonk replying to malling »

Where does it say that the retail price will be the same as the introductory kickstarter price?

Also, very nice if they make a mains version eventually. Was that confirmed? Only read a vague comment in the kickstarter page.

ethiopianbuffman

#13: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

ok yeah not confirmed or mentioned. I just guessed based on the non-discounted price. My assumption is that the pricing will be higher when it is available for general sale because they will have a better idea of costs, etc... and also inflation, cost of materials and shipping. I hope it makes it to market and is wildly successful as success breeds innovation and variety. Love having all these different options.

malling

#14: Post by malling »

In the lower end we definitely need a better selection of SD grinder then what is currently there.

With the filter we still only have the Wilfa, Fellow Ode & Mignon Brew Pro

For spro we have G-iota, Niche and now it looks like we will get a Mignon SD and the Kopi Deva probably next year. I'm sure we will see more reasonable prices SD grinders with more and more specs dripping from the luxurious and expensive once. Obviously bad news for Option-O, but I suspect people will always pay for the better build.

But at least you won't have to spend $2000-4000 to get one anymore.

GeorgeP922

#15: Post by GeorgeP922 »

Ok, Im glad there is yet another grinder in the pipeline possibly making it.

What I am surprised isn't the controversy on this grinder is using a battery found in phone/tablets as the power source.
I know I am stuck in the past, but I am not buying it that a cell phone battery can power a 450+ watt motor. If they compromised on motor power, not interested.
I don't believe it will grind 6 pounds of coffee on a single charge, if it does I will eat my shoes I promise.
If it works will be great for catering/mobile if it can handle the load.

Second, not trying to bring up the age old debate of Conical vs Flat, personally I think the move to flats for some is no more then a temporary trend, and I suspect most of us couldnt tell in a blind test. There is too much contradictory anectodal "evidence" in the debate.
This is what they say:
" Flat burrs have also been shown to unlock higher extraction percentages compared to their conical counterparts, allowing baristas to explore new avenues of flavors and textures."
I would love a citation for that statement.
IMO the flat trend was created by Kafatek when they decided to make the Monolith flat units cost more then the Monolith Conical.
Whereas the Italian/Spanish manufacturers the conical is the flagship unit. Heard of Mazzer or Compak?

Third, to buttress that point, I can't understand why Kafatek is the only SD grinder company to offer you a choice between burr sets. It can't be so hard. Actually Eureka being nice guys don't even charge a premium for conical in the Olympus series.
Both my grinders are conical, I want to add a flat to my fleet but the new Weber Key is calling my name :P

mikelipino

#16: Post by mikelipino »

In principal, 3s lithium ion batteries can power DC brushless motors at decent torque. This is done quite a bit with RC cars. In practice though I think you're right to be skeptical. They cite a 3s / 5Ah battery (55.5 Wh). Using the 1000 W motor limit also spec'd, that gives a max runtime of 3.3 min. Assuming 20 s grind time for a shot, that's only 10 shots (or 200 g coffee assuming 20 g shots). Using the 450 W you cite, this is around double to 22 shots (444 g coffee). Both well under the 3 kg coffee claimed, and that's still assuming 100% efficiency.

malling

#17: Post by malling »

GeorgeP922 wrote:Ok, Im glad there is yet another grinder in the pipeline possibly making it.

What I am surprised isn't the controversy on this grinder is using a battery found in phone/tablets as the power source.
I know I am stuck in the past, but I am not buying it that a cell phone battery can power a 450+ watt motor. If they compromised on motor power, not interested.
I don't believe it will grind 6 pounds of coffee on a single charge, if it does I will eat my shoes I promise.
If it works will be great for catering/mobile if it can handle the load.

Second, not trying to bring up the age old debate of Conical vs Flat, personally I think the move to flats for some is no more then a temporary trend, and I suspect most of us couldnt tell in a blind test. There is too much contradictory anectodal "evidence" in the debate.
This is what they say:
" Flat burrs have also been shown to unlock higher extraction percentages compared to their conical counterparts, allowing baristas to explore new avenues of flavors and textures."
I would love a citation for that statement.
IMO the flat trend was created by Kafatek when they decided to make the Monolith flat units cost more then the Monolith Conical.
Whereas the Italian/Spanish manufacturers the conical is the flagship unit. Heard of Mazzer or Compak?

Third, to buttress that point, I can't understand why Kafatek is the only SD grinder company to offer you a choice between burr sets. It can't be so hard. Actually Eureka being nice guys don't even charge a premium for conical in the Olympus series.
Both my grinders are conical, I want to add a flat to my fleet but the new Weber Key is calling my name :P
The shift to flat where definitely not created by Kafatek, as flats where already replacing conics with the introduction of the K30 many places in Europe, then later on the Mytos and EK43 among others. It has really been a one way traffic ever since.

So no it's not a temporary trend, the trend has been ongoing for now at least 8-10 years, I don't think it can even be defined as a trend any longer because it has been going on for so many years already. Ever since we started roasting lighter, better etc. Our preferences has just changed to something that could get that quality out in the cup. The conical simply could not to same degree, and I don't anticipate it will ever return, as it's impossible to aftermarket align and really only work if everything is machined down to very, low tolerances, it's a nightmare for end users compared to flat.

I can easily pick a flat and a conic in triangular test. Done it multiple times.

Mazzer is a sleeping giant, but even then their top grinder is actually the ZM a big flat grinder, the same with Compak their newest top of the line grinders are all big flat burrs.

In the end it is driven by demand, the demand is simply higher for flat. But there is still a demand for conical on the home market that is why we have the Monolith Conic, The Key, Niche Zero and will get Ozik Drama and All.

All this said, I also found it odd with the battery. I have a hard time seeing how it can grind 3kg of coffee, if it can grind a kg I would be positively surprised.

He says it takes around 200w to grind through beans- not wrong there an ode of 150w can grind it. So that would mean it should grind approximately 900-1000g of coffee, still a far way from 3000g I would say.

ira
Team HB

#18: Post by ira »

For what it's worth, you don't know the voltage of the battery so you can't actually tell anything. And using a battery means he doesn't have to worry about UL and all those other really problematic licensing agencies.

Ira

mikelipino

#19: Post by mikelipino »

According to the Deva site linked in the first post, the battery is 3s 11.1 v nominal. This puts it on par with a fairly light duty hand drill, which should be enough power depending on the gearing. But I agree with Mikkel, the battery sizing seems off for the 3 kg claim. Maybe not factor of 10 off like I estimated, but still >3x optimistic (not including losses).

malling

#20: Post by malling »

I still find it odd, 3s 11.1v 5000 mAh aren't that small or cheap, it's allot just to avoid a plug.

I have a few bosch battery 5000 mAh although 18v instead of 11.1v as this is rated at, and one hour seems overly optimistic.

I give it max 20-30min runtime and then I'm overly optimistic.

I could imagine he just use one of those RC car's batteries.