Knob Coffee Grinder (Kickstarter) - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
p4lxrich

#51: Post by p4lxrich »

From the latest update it looks like it will stay ccw to grind which is disappointing. Italmills is the burr titanium which is I believe the same as 1zpresso jmax? Not sure if anyone can confirm

SoF

#52: Post by SoF »

@p4lxrich

Yes this is ridiculous: they did the prototype CCW because there was no CW burr available at the time, but the Kickstarter campaign was precisely meant to raise money to have CW burr made especially for Knob, and since they are getting about 10 times more money than they needed I expected that they would not only have this new burr set made but that they would also fix some design issues (including a more robust handle which many complained about, perhaps a second ball bearing, etc.).

Instead they seem to be happy with the prototype and did not change a thing, we and our friends are seriously considering withdrawing our pledge.

What are they going to do with all that money if not what they said they would?

Advertisement
Pressino
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by Pressino »

SoF wrote:@p4lxrich

Yes this is ridiculous: they did the prototype CCW because there was no CW burr available at the time...Instead they seem to be happy with the prototype and did not change a thing...
That was my main criticism of this grinder. As I wrote earlier, it may make it great for left-handed users, but is an ergonomic problem (i.e. disaster) for right-handers. If they really aren't going to use burrs that allow CW grinding, Knob may want to market this for lefties, who constitute about 10% of the general population. It may be that they miscalculated just how much it would cost to mass produce mirror-image burrs when they made their claim (as they did right here on this forum) that the market version of the CCW prototype grinder would grind CW. :(

SoF

#54: Post by SoF »

To be able to ship the first Knob grinders in December they probably had them mostly produced and assembled already, so they must have decided a long time ago to use standard burrs but kept it very quiet until near the end of the campaign

Jonk

#55: Post by Jonk »

I'm seeing a lot of advertising for this grinder. That must cost a pretty penny..

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by Pressino »

SoF wrote:To be able to ship the first Knob grinders in December they probably had them mostly produced and assembled already, so they must have decided a long time ago to use standard burrs but kept it very quiet until near the end of the campaign
If so, that would support my impression that one of the posters who is affiliated with Knob seemed to be hawking his grinder with the over-the-top and a bit too pressured enthusiasm of a car salesman. I generally take what car salesmen tell me with a large grain of salt. The fact that HB recognized that his posts were violating HB forum rules reinforced my sense that these HB forums try to maintain honest objectivity. Thanks HB.com!

SoF

#57: Post by SoF »

Was it that bad to have Knob involved in this thread?

They would have been able to provide more details about the product, get feedback, expose any technical issues, and perhaps told us before about the CW/CCW problem

Instead people had to rely on little information provided in the kickstarter, without any "opposition" or discussion, and this is allowing them to collect x10 times what they initially asked for to fix the problem but still not do it and get away with it

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#58: Post by Jeff »

ira
Team HB

#59: Post by ira »

SoF wrote:Was it that bad to have Knob involved in this thread?
They broke the rules, and they didn't answer a number of direct questions, so I don't see the point of their being here anyway.

Ira

SoF

#60: Post by SoF replying to ira »

I do not deny that, and I am not trying to defend them, although I wondered why other forum members and their associates who have an obvious financial interest in particular topics (hand lever machines, etc.) do not systematically receive the same treatment