Knob Coffee Grinder (Kickstarter) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
allegedlybrewing

#11: Post by allegedlybrewing »

Its interesting that this was made today, i almost started this same thread as it came across my instagram last night. I was going to talk about the similarities between its and etzingers product that has been in the works for a while. I was trying to find the post i saw last night that had an add saying the first and only of its kind which bothered me as i know from dates of everything that Etzinger had been working on theirs for longer.

I also had some major concerns about the entire body been composed of aluminum and it potentially teton wet and that been a nice little no no, i could be worn but last i checked you don't wanna ever have aluminum coming into contact with water, i know most of us would never clean a hand grinder with water anyways but we all know there are people who will and do.

Its a need design but id personally hold out for etzingers product before this one. (full disclosure I'm a fan boy of the etzinger products) trying not to be biased though.

ira
Team HB

#12: Post by ira »

Since no one has tried either, it's tough to judge. There does need to be some sot of bearing between the 2 burrs and I've not seen how that might be done on the Knob. I would consider that might be the weak point but I guess we'll find out eventually. 2 small bearings spaced inches apart like on most all hand grinders pretty much insures that the center bearing will be centered in the housing and stay there over time. The only issue I've ever seen on a traditional hand grinder is how to center the outer burr and I don't see how their design improves on that.

Ira

Advertisement
neury

#13: Post by neury replying to ira »

We tried it dude! And it works perfect. Outer burr is surrounded with a bearing which has big radius. This bearing is kept tight inside CNC turned cylinder. So burrs are perfectly co-eccentric.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster replying to neury »

Neury, Please disclose your association with the Knob grinder. I see you're a new user and you list the Knob grinder in your equipment. How did you come to get one of these grinders?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

neury

#15: Post by neury »

allegedlybrewing wrote:Its interesting that this was made today, i almost started this same thread as it came across my instagram last night. I was going to talk about the similarities between its and etzingers product that has been in the works for a while. I was trying to find the post i saw last night that had an add saying the first and only of its kind which bothered me as i know from dates of everything that Etzinger had been working on theirs for longer.

I also had some major concerns about the entire body been composed of aluminum and it potentially teton wet and that been a nice little no no, i could be worn but last i checked you don't wanna ever have aluminum coming into contact with water, i know most of us would never clean a hand grinder with water anyways but we all know there are people who will and do.

Its a need design but id personally hold out for etzingers product before this one. (full disclosure I'm a fan boy of the etzinger products) trying not to be biased though.
Hi Sir, thanks for your awareness raising post but we published first design pictures more than one year before. This concept is already used in some electric grinders. It is first time being used inside of a manual grinder. And Knob grinder will be launched on kickstarter in 3 days-31th of august. It is a ready to-launch and production product.

neury

#16: Post by neury »

yakster wrote:Neury, Please disclose your association with the Knob grinder. I see you're a new user and you list the Knob grinder in your equipment. How did you come to get one of these grinders?
I am mechanical engineer of Knob grinder project team. I saw topic is opened by @Steveko23 and I am trying to answer questions. I am sorry I haven't introduced myself yet.

malling

#17: Post by malling replying to neury »

You should read the guidelines of manufacturers contributions on this forum.

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#18: Post by HB »

neury wrote:And Knob grinder will be launched on kickstarter in 3 days-31th of august. It is a ready to-launch and production product.
neury wrote:I am mechanical engineer of Knob grinder project team. I saw topic is opened by @Steveko23 and I am trying to answer questions. I am sorry I haven't introduced myself yet.
I get that most people don't bother reading the "terms of service", but it's how we run this site. There are other rules for retailers/sellers outlined in Vendor participation in the forums. Please take a moment to read them as they are a condition of your participation.

TL;DR version:
Vendor participation in the forums wrote:...if you or the company you work for sells the product/service being discussed in a thread, you are welcome to correct factual errors, but should avoid posting opinions, product/service offerings, or critiques of competitive products.
Admittedly these are rather restrictive, but without these limitations, our experience has shown that enthusiastic new companies and Kickstarter-like project promoters/employees will regularly post "helpful replies" that become product updates, product availability announcements, and product sales offerings, all of which violate the site's "no commercial posts" rule. If that's what your company wants, then please contact me offline about promotion options.
Dan Kehn

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Pressino »

neury wrote: Also, the biggest advantage is wobbling no more happens, because the bearing is located around the outer burr. Bearings of standard grinders with axle cannot be located inside the burr where the grinding happens.
Yeah, but what about the inner burr? I can understand how the cylindrical bearing(s) (just one or two of them?) help eliminate wobble on that burr, but how is the inner burr stabilized and kept concentric with the outer burr? Well designed axle using grinders use at least two sealed ball bearing sets at the upper and lower end of the axle. This works very well. What's to keep the inner burr from bending out of alignment and if it should need to be realigned, how is that done? :?:

neury

#20: Post by neury replying to Pressino »

Great question. Axle using grinders must move the axle inside the bearings up and down. So, there must be tolerance between bearing and axle. This is first point. Second one is there must be a tolerance between the bearing and body of the grinder. Additionally, most of the inner burrs are fixed to the axle via thread to arrange grind size. This is third tolerance can cause wobbling.

By fixing inner burr with a very short and stationary axle directly to main body prevents inner burr from wobbling in axle-less system. And realignment will not be needed because it is stationary.