Kinu M68 - Available for pre-order

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Fluffeepuff

#1: Post by Fluffeepuff »

Just saw the M68 available for pre-order on https://kinugrinders.com... some additional photos in the rotating thumbnails at the top, as well!

Looks a bit different to me compared to the photos of recent variants. Is this variant similar to some of the 'gen 3' grinders out there?

Stanic

#2: Post by Stanic »

Nice, looks like v4 to me :) wonder if the burrs will be available separately

radu

#3: Post by radu »

I've been using this new version since April. I am the photographer who shot the photos (yet not uploaded on the website) for the Kinu products.

The thing on the side next to the body is a vacuum pump. You press the piston and the base vacuums itself to the table. I have a hardwood coutertop and it still gets a good hold. I can't imagine how it is on a shiny countertop.

The catch cup is magnetically attached to the grinder and I am using the same cup to put the grounds in the portafilter. On the Mina I would've loved a 1mm narrower cup, but on a 58mm portafilter it's just perfect. I flip the portafilter, stick the cup via the magnets to the basket and flip again to let the grounds in the basket. Zero spill.

The body is made of stainless steel and it is massive. Something like 3.8kg.

I do WDT, but I guess you need to do it on all the handgrinders. I don't do RDT since it needs a finer grind and it affects taste. Compared to the M47 I get clearer and more defined aromas on the acidity side and no bitterness. I can provide details / extra photos / videos if you want.
LMWDP #616

Stanic

#4: Post by Stanic »

Extra pics and videos would be most appreciated! Could you also post a pic of the new burrs please?

ProCyclist

#5: Post by ProCyclist »

Just got my M47, incredible machining and design IMO. M68 is on my wishlist for sure

Capac

#6: Post by Capac »

It's obviously a lot nicer grinder than pharos, but does it show in grind quality?

Would love to own it one day.

Stanic

#7: Post by Stanic »

i haven't got the Pharos but it certainly grinds well enough for excellent espresso..the big difference is in convenience of use I guess..geared and with perpendicular handle

Tonefish

#8: Post by Tonefish »

Wow! They boosted the price even more than when the website launched (maybe the Euro increase). Still a great grinder at a reasonable price.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

ProCyclist

#9: Post by ProCyclist »

Stanic wrote:Extra pics and videos would be most appreciated! Could you also post a pic of the new burrs please?
Second that, pictures of the new vacuum suction cup system and detailed photos would be great. Thanks

maxbmello

#10: Post by maxbmello »

I used a stock Pharos 1.0 for about 2 years as my daily grinder. I snatched up a barely used m68 v3 maybe a year ago, and love it so so much. While the grinds and taste are very similar if not identical, the ease of use in the adjustment, gear reductuon, catch cup, etc make it a pleasure to use every day. The Pharos got moved to work for me, and have since updated it to 2.0 which makes it nicer, but I still miss using the m68 at work.

For the money the Pharos can't be beat, but if you want nicer fit and finishing and convenience factors, the kinu is a worthy upgrade and I can't see ever wanting another conical grinder on my counter. Just need a ML flat or flat MAX to pair with it now ;)