Kinu M68 - Available for pre-order - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Stanic

#21: Post by Stanic »

M68 burrs from the bottom side

radu

#22: Post by radu »

68mm should be the outer diameter of the outer burr. It's how they're all measured (it makes no sense to me, since I'd always go for the inner burr diameter).

From what I know, the M68 burrs are the same as the ones on the Compak K10.
LMWDP #616

Stanic

#23: Post by Stanic »

Nice video Radu, particularly the white balance ;)

ProCyclist

#24: Post by ProCyclist »

Just got the notification as I am sure many of you did. M47 & M68 are now in stock and ready to ship / purchase on Kinu's website.

bradenl123

#25: Post by bradenl123 »

i'm looking to upgrade from a Mahlgut for ease of use for my wife and this is very appealing. The question I have is are the tolerances still as good as they were in the prototype phase? Is kinu still cranking out super-aligned grinders?

Braden

radu

#26: Post by radu »

bradenl123 wrote:i'm looking to upgrade from a Mahlgut for ease of use for my wife and this is very appealing. The question I have is are the tolerances still as good as they were in the prototype phase? Is kinu still cranking out super-aligned grinders?
From what I know, they never changed anything regarding precision. I've even seen the term used in their manual.

I've found a pretty noticeable difference in grind quality (the taste in the cup) from the M47 to the M68. And the M47 wasn't bad at all. The shot is brighter, the aromas are cleaner and there is no bitterness. I'll compare it soon to a large flat, but on lighter roasts the flat should "win" by a mile.

The vacuum pump makes it really easy to grind and the catch cup latches on via magnets, so there is no spillage. Depending on how hard the beans are, you still need some strength to grind though.
LMWDP #616

Stanic

#27: Post by Stanic »

radu wrote: Depending on how hard the beans are, you still need some strength to grind though.
yep, the difference in force needed to grind say decaf and light roast is incredible

radu

#28: Post by radu »

With the coated burrs (fortunately) you need a lot less strength than the uncoated ones. There's an added 8-10 turns for the same qty of coffee, but it's a lot easier to grind.
LMWDP #616

maxbmello

#29: Post by maxbmello »

bradenl123 wrote:i'm looking to upgrade from a Mahlgut for ease of use for my wife and this is very appealing. The question I have is are the tolerances still as good as they were in the prototype phase? Is kinu still cranking out super-aligned grinders?

Braden
I used a Pharos (similar to Mahlgut) for 2 years and my wife refused to grind with it. The m68 still requires some muscle to use, but much much less - enough where she can grind with it. I sill end up making coffee 99% of the time anyway :) but point is the fear teduction does make it much more user friendly, and the vertical crank makes it more ergonomic and natural motion. The suction base will probably make it even better.

After almost a year with the kinu, I couldn't be happier and can't see upgrading to any other conical grinder.

ProCyclist

#30: Post by ProCyclist »

Braden
Only Kinu could answer to this. Do their drawing call for the same tolerance they built their reputation on with the last few revisions as they become more popular, and with that produce more grinders per production run? Tighter tolerance is more money ofcourse. I would imagine yes but that is a simple and direct question to Kinu which could be verified looking at the manufacturing drawings from Rev 1..2...3...4 etc. truly to know though, tolerance stack up of all interfacing components to show manufacturing variance would be that answer (multiple part drawings)