Kinu M47 Pourover Burr - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Yan

#41: Post by Yan »

pwginn wrote:I still can't get over how unbelievably long it takes to grind coffee in the new burr. The original burr is about 2 seconds per gram at espresso settings but the pour over burr is like 7-10 seconds per gram. Am I the only one who experienced that? I have the full size M47
I think the Pour-over Burr is designed for more coarse grindsize, so it will takes long time for fine drip size to espresso grindsize, if you're using Pour-over and espresso it's better stick wilt the stock Burr, I also have that experience but I am not using the Pour-over burr for Espreso just for Pour-over.

Yan

#42: Post by Yan »

baldheadracing wrote:Maybe try methods for very-light-roasted coffees that coarsen the grind considerably, for example Kasuya's 4:6 method or April's current (#113) method ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otk2jFRCcmE )
The April style is almost the same as my regular brew v.60 style the only difference I stirr at blooming state, maybe I try not stirr...

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#43: Post by baldheadracing replying to Yan »

I must admit that I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of grinding so coarse that the slurry drains down between pours.

Note that April's coffee is so light that bloom is minimal/non-existant.

... and you may find that you prefer the Apex for such methods 8)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Yan

#44: Post by Yan replying to baldheadracing »

Yes he have separate video regarding minimum bloom and not blooming the coffee, imho APEX it's in the different league with M47 for Pour-over.... :D

Ora

#45: Post by Ora »

baldheadracing wrote:Maybe try methods for very-light-roasted coffees that coarsen the grind considerably, for example Kasuya's 4:6 method or April's current (#113) method ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otk2jFRCcmE )
I've been thinking for a while now, but was still putting hope in the new brew burr; but now I'm more convinced that while kinu is a great grinder, it's much better for espresso grinds while commandante would bring out filter brew flavors better.

HishamTheWizard

#46: Post by HishamTheWizard »

what do you think would happen if you ground half the coffee at one setting and the other half at a bit coarser ?

EndlessOcean

#47: Post by EndlessOcean »

What if comandante is used for espresso, would the taste be better than kinu?

Advertisement
bas

#48: Post by bas »

Comandante is usable for espresso but you will need the Redclixx upgrade to improve fine adjustment.

But grinding takes very long.

For espresso Kinu is more convenient for sure.

With Comandante you need more attention for puck prepararation etc. Kinu is more forgiving. I assume because Comandante has a tighter grind distribution and produces less fines.