Kinu M47 Pourover Burr - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
themusgrat

#31: Post by themusgrat »

If the grind is noticeably less consistent, you would think it is a worse burr. Particle size consistently is key to any grinder.

I have followed this thread with interest, but if multiple people say you lose taste, and even a proponent of the new burr says its inconsistent, it's an easy pass from me. Disappointing, but no company hits a home run on everything. Stock m47 is still incredible for me.

ojt

#32: Post by ojt »

FWIW, my friend found the grind is better with the pour over burr, improving the brew at least for some coffees.

I don't know if anyone already actually analyzed the grind properly here but that and some real blind tasting are pretty much the only ways to make sure. Other than for roughly 40€ plus shipping anyone can buy and try for themselves, IMHO.

I'll ask again my friend how he's finding it now after some time having it in use.
Osku

Mbb

#33: Post by Mbb »

Dont know about blind
But several tried it expecting it to be better, and were dissapointed

Im of opinion that taste is subjective
May depend on person, roast, coffee origin, phase of moon, size of grind, water temp, brew method......and maybe the burr too

Expecting a single burr to get unanimous thumbs up....would take a huge improvement

ojt

#34: Post by ojt »

Definitely! Taste is subjective. I think mister Kasuya said in one interview that coffee without any dines in the grind would taste unintereating.

The burr in fact isn't so expensive to not get it and test it based solely on online discussion.
Osku

Cwilli62

#35: Post by Cwilli62 »

I didn't particularly like the brew burr. Didn't do extensive side by side or anything, but I did I use the M47 for 2 years straight, every day, before recently. When I tried the brew burr, my pour overs were flatter and more muted.

I went back to the original burr before recently going to a single dose electric grinder for daily use.

Yan

#36: Post by Yan replying to Cwilli62 »

Same here Sir... the positive side is more easier to crank the light roast beans, but I can't stand the flat and muted notes...

Ora

#37: Post by Ora replying to Yan »

Did you try to change brew styles with beans your familiar with? Recently I was brewing using my normal 4 pours method and thought the coffee was good, but then on a whim I decided to use a 2 pour method and the flavor just burst. Maybe the drip burr requires a different style of brewing than stock burr to bring out the flavors and sweetness.

Yan

#38: Post by Yan replying to Ora »

I change many times in pouring style, pour over device (V.60, Kalita, Chemex), ratio 1/15 - 1/18 , the results pretty much the same, I can't get the level of the stock burr in mouthfeel and sweetness, but sometimes I switch the burr just for fun... :)

pwginn

#39: Post by pwginn »

I still can't get over how unbelievably long it takes to grind coffee in the new burr. The original burr is about 2 seconds per gram at espresso settings but the pour over burr is like 7-10 seconds per gram. Am I the only one who experienced that? I have the full size M47

baldheadracing
Team HB

#40: Post by baldheadracing »

Yan wrote:I change many times in pouring style, pour over device (V.60, Kalita, Chemex), ratio 1/15 - 1/18 , the results pretty much the same, I can't get the level of the stock burr in mouthfeel and sweetness, but sometimes I switch the burr just for fun... :)
Maybe try methods for very-light-roasted coffees that coarsen the grind considerably, for example Kasuya's 4:6 method or April's current (#113) method ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otk2jFRCcmE )
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada