Kinu M47 left vs right hand grinding

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
toolate

#1: Post by toolate »

Something odd;
if i grind holding the grinder in my right hand and turning with my left it takes fewer turns than vice versa. About 15% fewer.

Anyone else notice this?

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

Never tried that. But I have found that the grind speed affects the number of turns required. Is it possible you are turning at different speeds depending on which hand you're holding the grinder with?

toolate (original poster)

#3: Post by toolate (original poster) »

no that is the thing. i am counting revolutions

Ken5

#4: Post by Ken5 »

John is right, rpm's of handle does affect the count. Using your off hand could cause you to turn faster or slower.

So in addition to counting and using the same dose of beans, run a timer and see if the timer is the same for both. I am guessing it is not.

#5: Post by toolate (original poster) »

so is it slower means less turns? Or faster? Why is this?

Ken5

#6: Post by Ken5 »

Not sure why honestly, but I posted something about this last month,

New Kinu m47

There is some discussion after the post linked above.

I am thinking that it has to do with the way the beans are fed into the burrs. Perhaps faster rotation presses the beans into the cutters harder.

Try it and see if you find the same thing. I did not use different hands, just different speeds. In my example I did not time it, but I used different rpm's which changes the timing. Seems to make more sense for you to time it since faster times would indicate faster rpm.

#7: Post by toolate (original poster) »

fascinating well do me a favor and try to switch hands.

I suspect the way the beans feed matters too

Ken5

#8: Post by Ken5 »

I'll give it a try David.

bialettibarista

#9: Post by bialettibarista »

It's just a thought but perhaps holding the grinder at different angles effects how fast the beans feed. It wouldn't be unusual to hold the grinder differently in your dominant hand.

bialettibarista

#10: Post by bialettibarista »

It's just a thought but perhaps holding the grinder at different angles effects how fast the beans feed. It wouldn't be unusual to hold the grinder differently in your dominant hand.
Could you share your grind time information? I recently bought a Kinu and have found the times to be much longer than expected.