Kinu M47 grind setting moves during grinding

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cypen

#1: Post by cypen »

To any fellow M47 owners, I would like to know if you have had any issues with grind setting being altered during grinding on the newest (2018) version of the M47.

Particularly with light roasts and batches above ~20-25g, my grind setting will move anywhere from 1-3 increments "tighter." For example this morning I ground 21g at 3.50 and ended up at 3.46 when I finished grinding.

I have tried tightening the top screw as much as possible, including using the crank arm as leverage, and still my grind setting will change.

Does anyone else have this issue? Could I have reassembled my grinder wrong? (I doubt this as it is dead simple) Or is my grinder defective?

Thank you in advance! :D

argulator
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by argulator »

Never happens with mine.

elviscaprice

#3: Post by elviscaprice »

Yes, it has happened on occasion with mine. But since I'm constantly switching between finer (espresso) to coarser (FP), I attribute it to not tightening/loosening correctly. If I pay attention to the loosening and tightening, I do not get any movement.

cypen (original poster)

#4: Post by cypen (original poster) »

elviscaprice wrote:Yes, it has happened on occasion with mine. But since I'm constantly switching between finer (espresso) to coarser (FP), I attribute it to not tightening/loosening correctly. If I pay attention to the loosening and tightening, I do not get any movement.
Just to clarify, your setting moves "tighter" i.e. closer to zero? The more I think about the mechanics of the grinder the less it makes sense that my grind setting is tightening instead of loosening...

elviscaprice

#5: Post by elviscaprice replying to cypen »

It may be that your not loosening enough, the set screw, before moving the settings.

cypen (original poster)

#6: Post by cypen (original poster) replying to elviscaprice »

I'll give it a try, although I'm struggling to think of a way that would make a difference :? Have you ever experienced yours tightening up?

elviscaprice

#7: Post by elviscaprice »

Lately, I haven't noticed any movement in settings, since I've taken more care and gotten used to my routine in adjusting the grinder. I don't remember which direction it had moved before, but I put that down to user error.

cypen (original poster)

#8: Post by cypen (original poster) replying to elviscaprice »

Ah okay, I appreciate it! Let me know if you have any more tips on how you properly loosen and tighten your M47! :)

autoexec

#9: Post by autoexec »

I only loosen the locking mehanism if i'm adjusting the grind to a coarser setting. I don't see the logic why you would lossen it before adjusting to a finer setting. That said, if your setting moves to a tighter/finer setting while grinding, I don't think it is due to improper tightening as you can always go to a finer setting without moving the locking screw. :/

instantkamera

#10: Post by instantkamera »

autoexec wrote: I don't think it is due to improper tightening as you can always go to a finer setting without moving the locking screw. :/
That may be technically true (as in, if you can get it started, tightening the grind would create more headroom under the set screw), but if you torque the set screw down reasonably well you should not be able to turn the adjustment collar (i.e. the force required to do so is greater than that needed to loosen the set screw).

This doesn't preclude the grinding action from loosening the entire assembly over time - I have not observed that with my m47 (new) but my helor top cap (which is reverse threaded) often needs checking/re-tightening.