Kinu M47 grind setting moves during grinding - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cypen (original poster)

#31: Post by cypen (original poster) »

Update: The issue seems to have resolved itself somehow. I have strong suspicions that I was over-tightening the set screw and that was causing issues. Earlier this week I stopped tightening so much and now my grind setting stays rock solid as I'm grinding.

Tonefish

#32: Post by Tonefish replying to cypen »

Interesting! Glad it worked out. Hope you are enjoying your grinder. The M47 is surely a keeper.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

cypen (original poster)

#33: Post by cypen (original poster) replying to Tonefish »

Thanks! Yes I am loving it. Coming from a Skerton, I still love just staring down into my Wave to appreciate the beautiful grind uniformity :D

SunSurfH2o

#34: Post by SunSurfH2o »

cypen wrote:Update: The issue seems to have resolved itself somehow. I have strong suspicions that I was over-tightening the set screw and that was causing issues. Earlier this week I stopped tightening so much and now my grind setting stays rock solid as I'm grinding.
Still resolved? I have had the dial creep clock-wise while grinding, causing a progressively finer grind. I've always been careful to align the handle hole best I can while tightening down thumb screw because if I don't I find the misalignment enough to cause serious rough spots during the revolutions. When the creep was happening, I seem to recall it was feeling as though it was locking down, it would slip all of a sudden and then stop again.
Andrew

cypen (original poster)

#35: Post by cypen (original poster) replying to SunSurfH2o »

It is still resolved I would say, but the tightening indeed has reoccurred two or three times since I made that comment. It hasn't happened enough for me to know a definite cause but my suspicions still exist that it is due to over-tightening. I will concentrate on the handle alignment when assembling from now on as well.

I 100% also noticed the "locking down" you speak of and have associated that with the dial tightening up. So it seems our grinders have/had the same issue.

I think it's safe to assume now that this isn't an isolated issue. Also worth noting Kinu never responded to my email.

cypen (original poster)

#36: Post by cypen (original poster) »

removed double post

Mbb

#37: Post by Mbb »

I've never seen this issue. At all.

I'm wondering if you don't really have it tight.

If you try and tighten the burr ( reducing size)and there's coffee in the Burr you just tightening it against the coffee and it will loosen up potentially as coffee grinds. This would be a problem much more for making changes to a smaller grind on espresso then for a pour-over.

SunSurfH2o

#38: Post by SunSurfH2o replying to Mbb »

only able to speak for myself but I never make an adjustment without first giving the side of the grinder a few hits to dislocate any residual beans from last use and then spin grinder on axis holding handle while rotating in vertical and horizontal positions. I'll finger tighten to the point of discomfort now to ensure it's as far as it goes
Andrew

cypen (original poster)

#39: Post by cypen (original poster) »

Mbb wrote:I've never seen this issue. At all.

I'm wondering if you don't really have it tight.

If you try and tighten the burr ( reducing size)and there's coffee in the Burr you just tightening it against the coffee and it will loosen up potentially as coffee grinds. This would be a problem much more for making changes to a smaller grind on espresso then for a pour-over.
Trust me when I say that this occurs when the grinder is freshly cleaned, assembled, and the top screw tightened as tight as reasonably possible.
SunSurfH2o wrote:only able to speak for myself but I never make an adjustment without first giving the side of the grinder a few hits to dislocate any residual beans from last use and then spin grinder on axis holding handle while rotating in vertical and horizontal positions. I'll finger tighten to the point of discomfort now to ensure it's as far as it goes
Like I said, I have a feeling tightening too much is what's causing this. Every time the grind has recently tightened up during grinding I had thought to myself just a moment before "Hmm maybe I shouldn't have tightened it up that much," and sure enough, that's when I start to have issues again.

On the other hand, not 10 minutes ago I deliberately tightened as "loosely" as I could while still being securely "tightened," if that makes any sense, and what do you know? My grind setting stayed perfectly rock solid.

purpledad

#40: Post by purpledad »

I had this happen once, but it seemed to be from not tightening enough.

When it's tight, it doesn't slip, at least for me.