Kinu M47 (2017) doesn't grind fine enough

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
barouet

#1: Post by barouet »

I'm under the impression that my Kinu m47 (2017, v2?) is not grinding as fine as it should. I'm currently getting normal espresso grind when my kinu is @ 0 using 16g in the Cafelat Robot. If I want to go for 14g doses, I just can't because I can't go finer?

Anyone here had similar issue?
LMWDP #585

maxbmello

#2: Post by maxbmello »

No. Have you recently disassembled it? These grinders are capabale or beyond Turkish fine, so something is amiss with your unit

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#3: Post by mivanitsky »

That is certainly odd. I've used that version, as well as the current version. Both can choke Slayer. Something must be trapped, limiting the excursion of the inner burr.

Jasper_8137

#4: Post by Jasper_8137 »

I agree - my Kinu easily chokes my LM. Try taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning.

radu

#5: Post by radu »

barouet wrote: I'm currently getting normal espresso grind when my kinu is @ 0 using 16g in the Cafelat Robot.
By 0 do you mean the dial being at the 0 setting or you tried turning the dial all the way until it can't turn anymore? The espresso settings should be after 1-2 full turns of the adjustment knob, so it should go at least one other full turn below your current espresso setting.
LMWDP #616

barouet (original poster)

#6: Post by barouet (original poster) »

radu wrote:By 0 do you mean the dial being at the 0 setting or you tried turning the dial all the way until it can't turn anymore?
The dial is all the way down.
LMWDP #585

Balthazar_B

#7: Post by Balthazar_B »

If you take it apart for cleaning, check the condition of the burrs -- hopefully your three-year-old didn't use it for crushing marbles -- and that the shaft is true. I don't have one -- yet -- so perhaps someone can refresh my memory: IIRC one of the burrs is not intended to be removed during disassembly on at least one of the generations of the grinder? If that's the case, and that burr was removed, is it possible it wasn't seated properly when put back together?
- John

LMWDP # 577

DeGaulle

#8: Post by DeGaulle »

The grinder used to come with a metal rod that one could use to knock the outer burr out for cleaning, but mine (purchased last October) didn't. I asked them about this and they advised me that they no longer recommend to remove the outer burr and no longer include the rod with the grinder.
Bert

barouet (original poster)

#9: Post by barouet (original poster) »

I just emailed Kinu asking for their recommendation regarding this issue.
LMWDP #585

Kind_Karma

#10: Post by Kind_Karma »

Has the grinder ever been disassembled and cleaned?