KINGrinder manual grinders. The new king of value?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
boren

#1: Post by boren »

I only heard about this company in the last few days, but they seem to have a very nice range of manual grinders. In most cases with features-to-cost ratio that's better than 1Zpresso - the current king of value.

Take for example the K4. The external grind setting, burr type and size (48mm) puts it as a direct alternative to the 1Zpresso J-Max, but at a much lower price point. $150 MSRP compared to $200 for the J-Max, and even lower on sale (a friend just ordered one from aliexpress.com for $115 USD, as part of the BF sale).

Another impressive feature of these grinders is that they were designed to also be used with a cordless screwdrivers, claiming to feature larger bearings and axle to be able to handle the higher RPM.

Too good to be true or the new king of value?

jandrew

#2: Post by jandrew »

I have had the K2 in daily usage for a little over a month --- fit and finish is great and it produces nice consistent grinds in short order (about 30 seconds for 14g). Paired with my Flair Neo with BPF, this makes a pretty inexpensive setup that gives me really nice espresso every day.

Pressino

#3: Post by Pressino »

I note the K4 specs differ from those of the J-Max in these ways: 1) weight: JMax = 780g and K4= 630; and 2) grind size increment: JMax=8.8 microns and K4 = 16 microns (and 90 clicks per revolution in the JMax versus 60 with the K4). The 150g of extra weight in the JMax suggests (though doesn't prove) sturdier construction and the finer grind steps are definitely going to offer more control in "dialing in" espresso.

$150 is a nice price, but for $50 more I think you get more from the JMax. :)

boren (original poster)

#4: Post by boren (original poster) »

I'm not sure about that. If the K4 is designed to support a cordless screwdriver so I'd assume its moving parts (which is what matters) are at least as robust as the J-Max, and the price difference on sale is a lot more than the MSRP suggests. The K4 seems to me like amazing value at its current BF price of $115 (with coupons). Not that it's relevant for me, as I just ordered a 1Zpresso K-Plus.

its0vakid

#5: Post by its0vakid »

Just started using my K4 coming from a skerton and Breville SGP. Definitely worth the upgrade just based on speed of grinding (~40sec for 22g). Grinds look uniform and the fit and finish look and feel like the price is worth it. I don't have a 1zpresso to compare it to, but it feels like it's good value, considering the exterior adjustment nut and the aluminum build.

Just started slowly trying dialing it in as I learn to use the robot.

Rcus

#6: Post by Rcus »

Several public information say that the manufacturer/company behind 1z and kingrinder is the same. You can also easily find the "comparison" between 1z and corresponding kingrinder grinders. I chose another brand grinders personally.

The retail price of K6 is rmb/CNY 580 and the retail price of k4 is rmb/CNY 560. The official slogans of the kingrinder are "to support the made in China products" and "to heal the worship of western culture"

jpender

#7: Post by jpender » replying to Rcus »

They do have a number of similarities. But isn't 1Zpresso based in Taiwan?

K7

#8: Post by K7 »

Rcus wrote:Several public information say that the manufacturer/company behind 1z and kingrinder is the same. You can also easily find the "comparison" between 1z and corresponding kingrinder grinders. I chose another brand grinders personally.

The retail price of K6 is rmb/CNY 580 and the retail price of k4 is rmb/CNY 560. The official slogans of the kingrinder are "to support the made in China products" and "to heal the worship of western culture"
Yikes.

*updates my do not buy list*

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

Even if true that they were both owned by the same Taiwanese company why, specifically, would that be a reason to boycott them?

malling

#10: Post by malling »

jpender wrote:They do have a number of similarities. But isn't 1Zpresso based in Taiwan?
Yes the company is based in Taiwan, but does not necessarily mean the grinders are actually built there.