KINGrinder manual grinders. The new king of value? - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jpender

#31: Post by jpender »

@zellleonhart: Thank you for that.

HB
Admin

#32: Post by HB »

OK, I think we've covered the [possible] slogan interpretations and it's time to move back on topic (i.e., along the lines of the site's slogan "your guide to exceptional espresso/coffee" :lol:). Putting the thread on cooldown so this message is not overlooked. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

Quirquincho

#33: Post by Quirquincho »

I had been looking to upgrade the Hario Slim grinder I keep at work paired with a Nanopresso. With cyber week sales, I picked up the Kingrinder K3 (recommended for espresso) for under $100. I really like it.

This was a big upgrade on various fronts. First, compared to the Hario, it has a good range for espresso. The 18-micron adjustments are significantly better and smaller than in the Hario. If I were using this exclusively on my home machine, the 18-micron steps would be a downgrade from my stepless Eureka mignon silenzio. Yet, though the burrs are not yet fully seasoned, I had no problem dialing in a single-origin medium roast coffee from a third-wave roaster on my Profitec 300. The shot was delicious and complex. I will continue experimenting to get a sense of what one-step translates in terms of shot time.

Second, grinding fine enough for espresso is significantly faster and less strenuous than on the Hario. I can grind through 18g of a medium-roast bean in about 55 seconds. For the Nanopresso, which has an 8gr basket, it's less than 25 secs. The larger bearing in the K3 also makes it smoother. In my opinion and my location, both produce about the same amount of static and minimal retention. I simply tap the K3 on a rubber pad before opening the dosing cup.

Thirdly, the cylinder for the K3 is smaller and very solid. Compared to the Hario's mostly plastic components, the aluminum body and the lever with its wooden knob looks, of course, much nicer. The rubber wrap around the body gives good grip. At the same time, the K3 is heavier, though I have not found it taxingly so.

I was tempted to pick up the K4 with the exterior adjustments and 16-micron steps but, given my needs, I was happy with the lower price of the K3. Maybe the 2-micron step difference would be much more worth it if this was my primary grinder. And, though I haven't tried a hand grinder with external adjustments and my only comparison is the Hario, I find the internal adjustments perfectly acceptable and not inconvenient.

I think this is still the honeymoon period with this grinder. I'm sure that the further away I get from the Hario experience and the more use I give this grinder, occasionally testing it with other brewers (aeropress, chemex, etc.) I'll run into its limitations. I'll try to share impressions as that happens.