Kingrinder K4 or K6 - beginner buying advice

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
countryman

#1: Post by countryman »

Hi - new to home espresso. Had a Sage Bambino delivered today and ordered a K6 and K4 as a grinder (to return one unopened!) I don't have a particularly sensitive palate I don't think. Will I notice any difference between K4 and K6? I know the marketing says K4 is more espresso focused which is what I'll mainly drink. Might sometimes want to grind for a cafetière (French Press?) at the weekend. Would love anybody's view if it's worth worrying about the difference or just go with K4 as cheaper, more aimed at espresso and possibly titanium burr is better(?) Will K4 still be perfectly capable of the thicker ones from time to time? Does it sound like a better bet? Are they essentially the same to anyone without a seriously developed palate?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jonk

#2: Post by Jonk »

I think you would notice a difference. Easier with the French press.

That said, K4 makes more sense as an espresso focused grinder. You will sacrifice more in a sense for brew IMO, but depending on your tastes it could even be that you'd prefer it for that purpose as well, say if you like darker roasts and muddy, textured brews :D

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Traditional espresso and filter coffee are somewhat at odds. The first tends to favor thick, syrupy shots, with smooth, blended flavors. The second often tilts toward clarity of flavors. You generally have to make trade-offs with a single grinder in any price range.

danetrainer

#4: Post by danetrainer »

I agree that you likely will notice a difference but the K4 sounds like the right grinder for your usage to me. The K6 will highlight better clarity with very light roasts, the K4 still produces very nice notes for espresso and is my go to grinder on the road when I typically have a range of light medium roasts.

countryman (original poster)

#5: Post by countryman (original poster) »

Thank you very much for the replies so far. I've not been aware of what roasts I've used up to now but always assume I like the idea of darker, richer(?) flavours so feel I'd gravitate towards dark. Not sure how much experimenting I'll do - just initially keen to be able to make a solid espresso at home. Seems like K4 might well be better choice as that will be my day to day and it will still do a job for French but just maybe not the best? And the same in reverse for K6?

Jonk

#6: Post by Jonk »

A bit like that. This is how I'd describe it, based on my preferences:

K6 - Espresso: good, brew: good.
K4 - Espresso: great, brew: mediocre.

countryman (original poster)

#7: Post by countryman (original poster) »

Hahaha. Thank you very much. Really appreciate the clear feedback from everyone. Think I'll probably just go K4 then

Mbonus

#8: Post by Mbonus »

I have used the k4 for a couple years strictly espresso while deciding what to do for a new electric grinder. I really enjoyed the cup characteristics using it. So much so that I settled on a conical electric grinder.

My workflow with it included hitting it with a silicone spatula to knock every last particle out of the grinder assembly. Doing this resulted in 0 retention. Probably not manufacturer recommended :D