Keep or sell Rancilio Rocky?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DrAri

#1: Post by DrAri »

I recently bought a Mazzer Major and it's replaced my beloved Rancilio Rocky. I'm wondering if there's any reason to keep the Rocky, as currently I'm only drinking espresso, but perhaps in the future may choose to do other types of brews. As I've only used the Rocky for espresso grind, does it accel at other grind sizes? Thanks for any insight or advice!

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Depending on how old the Rocky is, I would change the burrs and use it for drip or slow, cold brew. While the stepped nature of Rocky makes it marginal for espresso it is capable or serving as a workhorse for years to come.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
*20th Anniversary 2000-2020*

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
BaristaBob

#3: Post by BaristaBob »

DrAri wrote:I recently bought a Mazzer Major and it's replaced my beloved Rancilio Rocky. I'm wondering if there's any reason to keep the Rocky, as currently I'm only drinking espresso, but perhaps in the future may choose to do other types of brews. As I've only used the Rocky for espresso grind, does it accel at other grind sizes? Thanks for any insight or advice!
If you don't need to raise some cash (and it wouldn't amount to much anyway), I'd store it away just in case you decide to venture outside the world of espresso. That what I have done with my Rocky. I gave it a good cleaning, boxed it up, and now it waits...I'm thinking cold brew is in my future...especially with global warming on the horizon! 8)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Rickpatbrown

#4: Post by Rickpatbrown »

My Rocky was awful. For espresso and brew. I'd sell it for $200-$300 and put that towards a proper brew grinder. Or a fun espresso grinder.

Maybe a hand grinder?

Yum

#5: Post by Yum »

I got rid of my rocky. I bought one grinder For my espresso and another grinder for my pour over. The rocky was awful for my pour over and kept way too much coffee inside the rocky $$$ also had problems getting coarse for a 59g chemex.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JB90068 »

I just gave Rocky to my son in law who uses only an Aeropress. I agree with what Yum said. If in a couple of years you decide to branch into pour overs or other types, who knows what cool new grinder will be out there. Acaia will have there Orbit on the market sometime next spring and there will be others...
Head of lifestyle maintenance.