KafaTek visit

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
kwantfm

#1: Post by kwantfm »

What are the odds? An Australian flies in to Seattle on business for one day, decides to contact Denis at Kafatek, who agrees to a visit. Uber comes to the rescue and, extremely jet lagged, I head to grinder heaven.

It was lovely to meet Denis and it's clear that he is super passionate about the grinders he is building and the design principles that mean that burr alignment and grind quality are second to none. The grinders are lovely to look at, smaller than expected, extremely quiet and the product, as judged by espresso in the cup, is phenomenal. I'm on the waiting list for a Monolith Conical and it's great to receive some post deposit confirmation.

Denis was extremely hospitable, pouring shot after shot from his orange Slayer one group. He's got a lot of machines... the aforementioned Slayer, Londinium, Synesso Hydra, Cremina (I forgot to ask which year). His favourite? The Cremina. He also has a lovely looking Diedrich HR-1 roaster, whose footprint was surprisingly small. We tried a number of different coffees, the most surprising of which was a commercial roast, three months post roast date with 50% robusta and it tasted just fine!

Denis capped of the visit by gifting me with one of his beautiful tampers. I am most grateful.

Anyway enough talk... please see some photos below.

LMWDP #602

shawndo

#2: Post by shawndo »

I've heard that about the Cremina from him more than once. I still can't get over it considering his bench!
Its pretty much 85% of the reason I got one for myself recently.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

sonofjorel

#3: Post by sonofjorel »

That must have been a great trip. Were you able to taste shots from both the conical and the flat and if so, do you mind trying to compare them here?

thebookfreak58

#4: Post by thebookfreak58 »

Nice!

Shame you could put an extra one in your luggage for me back in Aus :P

kwantfm (original poster)

#5: Post by kwantfm (original poster) »

sonofjorel wrote:Were you able to taste shots from both the conical and the flat and if so, do you mind trying to compare them here?
That was what I was planning to do but in the end it wasn't possible. I had a colleague with me who doesn't drink coffee (who was also very patient). So I didn't have time to compare same coffee, same brew ratio for both grinders. All I can say is that shots from both tasted wonderful.
LMWDP #602

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

That's an enviable workbench!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

Nice post!
No Espresso = Depresso

ShelbiRyan

#8: Post by ShelbiRyan »

It's been pretty tough to hold myself back from ordering the Monolith! Even tougher after hearing time and time again how great of a guy Denis is, and the impeccable service he provides.

His work bench is pretty impressive as well! :wink: