Kafatek Sold Out - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DaveB

#11: Post by DaveB »

I imagine Denis must have a small crew of at least a few people - even if only Denis does sensitive stuff like installing burrs in pristinely clean conditions (and careful tightening to proper torque), not to mention the final inspections and testing. Stuff like running the CNC machines, disposal of extraneous material, assembly (and especially packing/shipping) could be delegated to others and would greatly increase efficiency.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

mkane
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by mkane »

It's a coffee grinder. Not any more sophisticated then an internal combustion engine. It's not rocket science people. Might be to some who can't build anything.

Dpablo

#13: Post by Dpablo replying to mkane »

Some unintended irony- rocket science is all about perfecting the internal combustion engine.

chipman

#14: Post by chipman »

kafatec is a fine product, but this fan boyism is getting completely out of hand.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by blondica73 »

I'm a small coffee roaster and I roast specialty coffee. My friends and family would like me to expand my business; however, I just don't want to do it, I like roasting small batches and continuously improving my craft while sharing the outcome with people who like my coffee. I sell coffee to only a handful of people and I do custom roasts. I make a little profit and that's it. I understand Denis. If someone does not like how he does business, one can always walk away from it, nobody is forcing anyone to buy those grinders.
★ Helpful

mkane
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by mkane »

Dpablo wrote:Some unintended irony- rocket science is all about perfecting the internal combustion engine.

No doubt but it's still a very simple science project.

nuketopia

#17: Post by nuketopia »

Denis builds them all by hand, tests each and every grinder with actual coffee and shots. He bought CNC machines so he can do the manufacturing in house, in the past components have been made at various machine shops and anodizers.

You can call it "fan boy" or whatever, but he builds a very high quality product with a certain philosophy. They're all the product of his hands directly. There's only so much he can build.

It will never be mass-produced.

There's a reason they sell out every production run and few show up on the second-hand market.

Nik

#18: Post by Nik replying to nuketopia »

QC at this level requires the same attention that he gives to every part he makes in house and those outsourced, which are few. The penalty for not checking every unit that leaves the shop are disgruntled customers. Apparently this is not an issue. I suspect he will increase production as long as the same level of QC is practiced. It's his lifestyle! Saved me a lot of money in the past because there is no use in buying a new grinder every 6 months as I was doing before Monoliths.

Prodigy

#19: Post by Prodigy »

mkane wrote:It's a coffee grinder. Not any more sophisticated then an internal combustion engine. It's not rocket science people. Might be to some who can't build anything.
I'm confused. Are you implying that its easy to build combustion engines, rockets, or grinders? Which do you build? I could say its easy to draw art, but that doesn't make my stick figure with hair a Mona Lisa....
★ Helpful

Nate42

#20: Post by Nate42 »

You guys are forgetting the other side of the supply / demand equation. Yes Denis could ramp up production so supply is more in line with demand. This is easier said than done, and he plainly doesn't want to do this.

But there is another thing he could do, which would be extremely easy, and immediately result in him making more money. He could increase prices until demand is more in line with what he is comfortable producing. He apparently chooses not to do this as well, and we should count ourselves lucky. No one would accuse a monolith grinder of being "cheap", but when demand outstrips supply to such a degree, its plain that they COULD be sold for even more.